First time diving Cozumel- Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Casa Mexicana if you are diving with a nearby shop or being picked up at the Aqua
Safari Pier. This pier is as close as any resort pier anywhere.......We stayed at CM last week, comfy beds, great breakfast included, convenient to several wonderful restaurants. La Choza a few blocks away was the best this trip. Blue Angel is very good too--toured a room once and have been shore diving there several times. The restaurant was good as well the 2 times we ate there on previous trips. Scuba Club is good too, the shore dive is ok and the entry could not be easier. All the places I have been shore diving on that side of Cozumel have been similar muck dives with very clear water. If you enjoy macro photography do some shore diving. There will still probably be current on the shore dives so start the dive into current.

The shore diving in Cozumel is essentially non-existent, useful for doing your scuba refresher and/or testing new or newly serviced gear, or checking one's weighting prior to doing the 'real' dives in Cozumel, so be careful not to get too excited about' unlimited shore diving'.

I would strongly disagree. You won't get deeper than 20-25' and won't have much real coral but there is plenty of smaller marine life. I've seen a lot of things on shore dives that I've never seen on the boat dives. If you're more into photography/video of fishes than swimming alongside massive walls and swim-thrus it can offer better opportunities for that. It's certainly not Bonaire and not a shore diving destination b

Interesting thread!

I normally stay at one of the AI, like Iberostar or Occidental, but am reconsidering after reading this thread! We are planning a trip mid December this year. Anyone have any advice for staying closer to down town? There will be three of us so a two bedroom would be great. Would like breakfast on site, and the dive operation within easy walking distance. Interested in the shore diving because my wife is not very experienced and needs to spend more time underwater to gain some confidence.

+1 for Suites Bahia (or, presumably, Casa Mexicana, though I've never stayed there, only had their breakfast).

Also, just wanted to chime in that I respectfully disagree about there being nothing good at 40-60'. Dalila and Francesa immediately come to mind as two of my favorites for abundant marine life, and while I don't have my log books in front of me I don't think either goes much below that if at all. As someone upthread said earlier, the deeper dives are nice for seeing the coral formations, which are very cool, but I prefer seeing more critters.

For a less expensive accommodation I highly recommend the Suites Bahia. Right next to the downtown pier (built by Aldora but taken over by corrupt politicians), and all the fun of town. The rooms are spacious and very inexpensive.
As far as Aldora Diving, there must have been a miss understanding. Our signature dives are Maricaibo, Punta Sur Sur, Devil's Throat and Columbia Deep (all deeper than 100 ft). For capable divers we go there everyday, not to mention our northern adventure dives, and never take more than 6 similar divers per boat (we have 9). For partial or complete port closures we have one 40 ft fast boat, or dives on the pristine and beautiful east side. Perhaps you ought to talk to Kay again or call me on my US phone which works here as well. That is 830 469-0667

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

For a less expensive accommodation I highly recommend the Suites Bahia. Right next to the downtown pier (built by Aldora but taken over by corrupt politicians), and all the fun of town. The rooms are spacious and very inexpensive.
As far as Aldora Diving, there must have been a miss understanding. Our signature dives are Maricaibo, Punta Sur Sur, Devil's Throat and Columbia Deep (all deeper than 100 ft). For capable divers we go there everyday, not to mention our northern adventure dives, and never take more than 6 similar divers per boat (we have 9). For partial or complete port closures we have one 40 ft fast boat, or dives on the pristine and beautiful east side. Perhaps you ought to talk to Kay again or call me on my US phone which works here as well. That is 830 469-0667

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Hi Dave,

I actually sent an you an email just a short while ago. I am pretty sure we will book the week with you. Really looking forward to our first trip to Coz!

Will take another look at Suites Bahia based on your recommendation but a little B & B in town that was also recommended to us is top of the list right now.

Seriously interested in your adventure dives. How far in advance to book those?

Lisa

On our last trip my wife and I chose to dive with Aldora and stay at Suites Bahia. Our thinking was that we don't spend enough time in the room for us to appreciate a nice view and luxurious room. Our room was indeed economical and yet quite spacious. However, the downside is that you have to walk a few minutes to Casa Mexicana, their sister property, to get the included breakfast. We found that a little annoying. Also, while an ocean view--or any view--is not a major concern to us, our economical room's window faced a wall, and the room had zero natural light. Some rooms seem to have good views, but ours must have been the worst of the worst. I don't think we would stay at Suites Bahia again unless they could guarantee a room with some sunlight. Consider paying a little more and staying at Casa Mexicana.

On our last trip my wife and I chose to dive with Aldora and stay at Suites Bahia. Our thinking was that we don't spend enough time in the room for us to appreciate a nice view and luxurious room. Our room was indeed economical and yet quite spacious. However, the downside is that you have to walk a few minutes to Casa Mexicana, their sister property, to get the included breakfast. We found that a little annoying. Also, while an ocean view--or any view--is not a major concern to us, our economical room's window faced a wall, and the room had zero natural light. Some rooms seem to have good views, but ours must have been the worst of the worst. I don't think we would stay at Suites Bahia again unless they could guarantee a room with some sunlight. Consider paying a little more and staying at Casa Mexicana.
Thanks. That's exactly the info that helps. Positive and negatives. Eric and I like smaller places with character and personality. The intown B & B sounds more to our liking.

You're welcome. And please post a trip report on the B&B if you go with that.

Cozumel has recently hired a new 'harbor master' who is hypersensitive to anything remotely approaching 'sporty' seas, he's very gun-shy, conservative, so the odds of having the harbor closed to diving due to 'weather' are MUCH higher these days then they used to be.

Not so much anymore - we scared him! It was open several days last week when it should have been closed. Many dive ops called the dives on their own. We attempted to go out one day and after several other reputable shops were coming back into the marina as we were loading up we called it. They all reported that conditions were not safe for small craft. One rogue wave could overtake the boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom