First time in Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colin Gray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading to Honduras for the first time April 9-16. Will be staying at Coco View Resort. Any suggestions as to what is needed over and above the normal dive trip? I know our cell phones do not work. Anyone used skype?? Anything that I should not miss while there?

Colin,

I was at CCV last August and routinely used Skype on my iPhone. It worked fine. Their wifi is only good in the central dining room area, not in the guest rooms.

Ron

As a dive guide,I would not miss the east end dives sites in front of Lime,Cow/Calf,Rose,St. Helene,Pigeon,Morat,Barbaretta and Ft. Morgan Cayes. Most divers do not travel to this end of Roatan. I have seen CCV out that way a few times in the three years I guided that area.
Please use the mooring buoys!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Go to the chat section on cocoviewresort.com and every question you could ever have about the resort will be ansewered in detail. You'll have a great time wish I was going back soon.

I get WiFi in all the guest rooms, but I do have one of those fancy external $30 antenna widgets. AT&T tells us phones work there, but you better buy a one month plan before leaving!

CCV will offer you an "all day trip" to go down East, and will also take you to my favorite, Hole in the Wall. But regular daily trips go to Calvin's Crack which is the real draw down that way. They never ever anchor, always using moorings. CCV placed the first and only of many moorings anywhere on Roatan for many, many years.

If you want the real scoop on CoCoView, check-in over at the CoCoView Message Board at CoCo Chat

Anything you shouldn't miss?

Yes... the fabulous shore dive and the easy access to the Prince Albert Wreck. Follow the anchor chain from the steps of your over-the-water cabana. It leads to the PA Wreck and the DC3 aircraft plus two spectacular shallow vertical Sunlit walls.

Look for the babies, the macro critters that hide in plain sight on the florid reef wall. Stick with your DM, always bring a flashlight. Learn to night dive if you aren't already a fan- it is not unusual to see 10 or 15 divers hitting the water at 8pm for their fifth dive of the day.

Have fun.

Is there anything else to know?

Just got back from CCV on Saturday. First trip, we'll be back....the experience ROCKED! From Nora saying "Welcome Home" at the airport, to the smooth laid-back efficiency of the entire operation, everything was first rate. The dives were wonderful, got 24 in. We averaged 40-60 feet for 50-64 minutes. Deepest I went was 78. PLENTY to see shallow. Mary's Place, Calvin's Crack and Doc's Retreat where our favorites. All the drop off dives were great too.

Daily schedule was eat, dive, eat, nap, dive, eat, ( a couple night dives), have a drink, sleep and repeat.

Don't know if we were just lucky but the bugs were virtually nonexistent. Only put on a little DEET one evening and even then it wasn't needed.

What to bring? Less clothes than you are packing now. A couple T's, a couple shorts, a couple swim trunks. With the extra room do bring some things for the Children of Roatan ( Roatan Childrens Fund | Helping the children of Roatan ). If we all bring a few things to Roatan it will have a huge impact.

Tool Belt: I forwarded your post to our scuba shop sponsoring a trip for 12 or so to CCV in June and just convinced our fearless leader to organize all members of the group to bring things from the wish lists for the Children of Roatan. Thanks for the great prompt and the link.

Rob

Tool Belt,

Thanks for the suggestion. Have started to collect some school supplies and children's books to pack in the suitcase:)

Colin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom