first time in San Diego water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll also be there in september (6-13th) and we're looking to do some boat dives. Do any of the charters or local shops rent steel tanks?

That's a good question. The Lois Ann used to supply them as the standard tank, but that was a few years ago. None of the others do, that I know of.

Thanks Bubbletrubble and Teamcasa for your info. One more question(at least) recommend a dive shop ? Don't think I will need anything but just want to cover my bases!! Thanx again !!!

OEX Dive & Kayak has several shops and as far as I can tell, they seem pretty good.

@llsullivan:
Here are my recommendations for dive shops:
  • For convenient air fills near La Jolla Shores - OEX (La Jolla Shores location) -- I won't use these guys unless I'm desperate for a fill for a second dive at the Shores. They usually give me a hard time with my HP steel tanks. On a couple of occasions, they refused to fill the tanks to the 3442 psi service pressure because I left the yoke valve inserts in. The tank monkey just gave me a weird look when I asked to borrow an allen/hex wrench to remove the insert. They'll usually say that the tanks will be filled in one hour. About half the time, I'll return in an hour and the tanks won't be filled. I've been given pretty much every excuse in the book: the fill banks weren't charged, VIP expired (it wasn't, just read incorrectly), out of hydro (it wasn't, just read incorrectly), just forgot about it, busy catering to the kayaking crowd, etc. I'd recommend watching them connect your tanks to a fill whip to prevent them from forgetting about it. A word of warning, OEX employees read the VIP stickers as "expired" on the first of the month. For example, if you got your tanks VIP'd on Jan 31, 2008, the tanks received a Jan 2008 VIP sticker. OEX will then insist that the tanks require a new VIP as of Jan. 1, 2009. I clarified this policy with the "manager," and we had a brief argument about it -- this isn't how every other dive shop in the area reads VIP stickers. I find these guys just plain annoying. YMMV.
  • For reasonable prices on scuba gear and rentals - Sport Chalet in the UTC Shopping Mall or in Point Loma - Weekend rentals are a great deal here since you are charged just one rental day when you pick up the gear on Friday night and return it before close on Sunday. Good place to shop for "incidentals."
  • For gear fixes and timely on-the-spot (pricey) fills - Ocean Enterprises in Clairemont - The reg technicians in the back of the store are very helpful. Friendly support staff.
  • For nitrox fills - San Diego Underwater Adventures in Clairemont - Best prices for fills; however, it's best to drop off tanks on one day and pick them up on the next. Closed Mondays. Great customer service.

I think that about covers it. :D

Thanks Bubbletruble, Teamcasa,Turtlediver and Scudadadda for your time and info. Can't wait to get down there and jump in!

Back
Top Bottom