First time to dive Mexico Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Idk abt the others but in dos ojos, you won't be needing any reels. All the paths are already lined. It's a fantastic dive. My wife and I both wore 3 mil suits, but that was july.

Quite a few of the Cave 1 caves need reels. A lot of the more out-of-the-way caves have line out to open water; in some places, it HAS to come out to open water, because the entrance is a zero viz restriction. At any rate, a reel is a necessary thing in MX.

I always dive dry and use a 6 lb backplate with an 8 lb V weight and my 2½ lb lamp canister. Nothing on the waist, total freedom. No damp wet suit to bother with every morning.

I think you are bringing too much stuff. Like Lynne said you can get whatever replacement item you need there.

One important point: on my return from Mexico, in January, the airport security forbade me from taking my lamp battery in my carry-on luggage. I had done so at least eight times before. There was nothing to be done. Even the Air Canada station manager could not get the head security dork :shakehead: to back up from his stupid made up rule.

The problem was finally resolved by the Air Canada people who had one of their ramp employee bring my battery on the plane, it was waiting for me on my seat. :eyebrow:

If you dive Gran Cenote beware of the ladders, they are not built to code to put it mildly, I prefer any rocky exit to them.

Tammy, I wish you the dive trip of you life, all the best to you. Waiting for your report.

Oh, the ladders at Grand are GOOD ones. Try Mayan Blue, which is slanted and slippery and often missing rungs. Or Carwash, where what appear to be handrails won't tolerate any pressure at all. (Or the one side where you use a ROPE to climb out.) Or Minotauro, where there isn't any ladder at all, and there's a huge ROCK in the middle of where you have to climb out. That's the one thing I can think of that Florida has over Mexico -- nice tables and stairs, and restrooms.

Oh -- that's another thing, Tammy. Almost everywhere in the Riviera Maya, you can't flush toilet paper, and the outhouses most often don't have any, so take some with you each day.

Oh, the ladders at Grand are GOOD ones. Try Mayan Blue, which is slanted and slippery and often missing rungs. Or Carwash, where what appear to be handrails won't tolerate any pressure at all. (Or the one side where you use a ROPE to climb out.) Or Minotauro, where there isn't any ladder at all, and there's a huge ROCK in the middle of where you have to climb out. That's the one thing I can think of that Florida has over Mexico -- nice tables and stairs, and restrooms.

Oh -- that's another thing, Tammy. Almost everywhere in the Riviera Maya, you can't flush toilet paper, and the outhouses most often don't have any, so take some with you each day.

You are so right but at Gran Cenote you have no other option but what is offered. At Minotauro if you take your time and watch where you step you should be good.

It's up the stairs where there is a landing and no handrails, you risk a fifteen foot drop.

You could do the Mayan adventure tour. It includes snorkeling in the cenotes, a zip line, rappelling, lunch, and a guided tour of tulum.
that sounds awesome

for diving, what should I take with me and what should I just rent there?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom