First time to Hawaii, looking for info (diving, places to stay, things not to miss)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone, My wife and I are making our first trip to Hawaii ever. Right now we just have our flight booked into Honolulu. We are going to be there April 9th to April 16th. We have dove in Caymans, Cozumel, Bonaire, Curacao, and so on. Mostly boat diving. We are willing to island hop. We know we have to see Pearl Harbor, but other than that we are totally looking for suggestions. Dive charters, best site, places to stay, restaurants not to miss. We are not big touriest attraction people or beach sitters. We love experiencing local culture and adventours activities. Thanks very much for any recommendations and suggestions.

I love the Big Island. We will be returning around the same time as you in April and are trying sugarcottage for a few days which I saw here on Scubaboard. It looks like it would be cool, Gary takes his guests on shore dives. There is also the Manta Ray Night Dive, Blackwater dive, boat dives, etc. The landscape is otherworldly, the people are wonderful, it is affordable, and the water is magnificent. Daily snorkeling with dolphins a block from where we stayed? How can you beat that? I have found many great accommodations on VRBO.com
Enjoy!

I love the Big Island. We will be returning around the same time as you in April and are trying sugarcottage for a few days which I saw here on Scubaboard. It looks like it would be cool, Gary takes his guests on shore dives. There is also the Manta Ray Night Dive, Blackwater dive, boat dives, etc. The landscape is otherworldly, the people are wonderful, it is affordable, and the water is magnificent. Daily snorkeling with dolphins a block from where we stayed? How can you beat that? I have found many great accommodations on VRBO.com
Enjoy!

Whereabouts are the dolphins?

Everything bethie said plus if you do hop on over to the Big Island make sure you do the manta ray night dive. It is one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Also, I was talking to a guy at a store this morning and told him I'm going to the Big Island soon and he insisted that I do the boat trip to watch the lave flow into the ocean. He said it was incredible.

Whereabouts are the dolphins?

Everything bethie said plus if you do hop on over to the Big Island make sure you do the manta ray night dive. It is one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Also, I was talking to a guy at a store this morning and told him I'm going to the Big Island soon and he insisted that I do the boat trip to watch the lave flow into the ocean. He said it was incredible.
Kaleakaua Bay for dolphins. We did the lava flow by bike which was pretty neat, and pretty crazy riding 15 miles through black lava landscape in the dark. You can pm me if you want more suggestions.

The best overall info guidebooks on each of the Hawaiian Islands. . .

Kaleakaua Bay for dolphins. We did the lava flow by bike which was pretty neat, and pretty crazy riding 15 miles through black lava landscape in the dark. You can pm me if you want more suggestions.
This is an option not for everyone, just like hiking the trail down and back (1.500 ft elevation drop, terribly hot most of the year, so carry a ton of water if you go). The dolphins tend to stay to the north, close to Capt Cook's monument. Most people kayak there to see the dolphins but locals will turn your pockets inside out for a kayak rental. My dear wife swam once to the dolphins from Manini Beach at the southern end of Kealakekua and she was lucky that the dolphins had enough patience to wait for her for about 40 min. So anyway, the best option to see the dolphins is further south, at Honaunau or Hookena where it takes 5 min to swim to the pod from the shore.

Given that it's only a week, I'd stay in Honolulu (you'll lose a lot of time flying to another island and back, really most of two days). I was there in April and dived with Kaimana Divers (recommended highly in another thread here). I love Honolulu; others think it's too touristy. I have generally not dived Honolulu because what can there be, right? Several wrecks within minutes of the marina. Lots of fish and nudibranchs. There is so much to do in Honolulu if you're not diving all the time. And don't miss the food truck just beyond the lagoon at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Fantastic garlic shrimp. A lot of good restaurants.

I'd plan to rent a car for a couple of days, but not the whole time because parking is expensive. Kaimana Divers will pick you up. If you're on Waikiki, there are loads of great restaurants within walking distance.

If you watch the reboot Hawaii Five-0, you're likely to see some places you recognize, especially around the Hilton Hawaiian Village resort.

I go to Waikiki Beach 2-3 times a year and I love it. I always dive with Kaimana Divers (send Gabe a heads up). I will be going again on February 15 for a few days.
In addition to Pearl Harbor, I suggest renting a car on your off day and drive to the North Beach, come around the east coast, have garlic shrimp at one of the shrimp trucks, go to the Byodo-in Temple, Pali Lookout (watch your belongings in the car). Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom