first time wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am taking my open water certification dives in Key Largo sometime in March. Given that I am not very cold tolerant at all, I am betting I will require a wetsuit to be comfortable. Unfortunately, I am also very unusual in my body proportions and will definitely not fit anything off the rack.

My question is, what do I look for in a wetsuit when I've never even tried one on before? Since I'm going to be dropping a few hundred dollars on it, I want to get one that I will be satisfied with for a while. There is no place locally for me (that I know of) that makes them custom so I will be ordering it online. There are a lot of options (front, back entry, arm and leg zippers, thickness, material etc) and I find myself unsure of how to proceed. I'm pretty sure I want 3 mm full suit but the range of prices and styles is so wide I can't help but feel like I am just guessing at what will work best.

Any advice from you veterans?

I know this applies for dry suits (im finaly getting one woooo!) but check this out for measurements. I picked up a 60" sewing measuring tape tonight for $2 and i measured myself. some of the measurements were height, armpit to wrist, circumference at your nipples, navel, widest part of your hips, half way on your thigh, thickest part of your calf, crotch to ankel, and overall weight. A few of these measurements will allow you to get a good idea of what size you are, and you should be able to call some shops in your town, the keys, or online that may be able to help you.
factories do custom cut dry suits, im not sure why they would not do a custom wetsuit.

when you do buy a wetsuit, take good care of it. I never did and after about 2 years it looks like a pile of rotten roast beef.

While looking for some gear, i came across this

Suits : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

If the first suit you purchase doesn't fit, we'll pay for shipping both ways for two exchanges as long as the suit hasn't been submerged in water and is still in new from manufacturer condition.

Yeah, i screwed up that formatting, forgive me mods.

LP has the same guarantee, PFF Guaranty Program Information | LeisurePro.com

PFF Guaranty Program Information

Your home is our changing room. Try it on and walk it around. Maybe you'll find that the fit isn't quite right, just whistle and we'll come running.

We'll arrange return of your item and bring you another size - without additional shipping costs. And at Leisure Pro, we'll keep going back to the cyber shelves until you are completely satisfied and perfectly comfortable.

I am taking my open water certification dives in Key Largo sometime in March. Given that I am not very cold tolerant at all, I am betting I will require a wetsuit to be comfortable. Unfortunately, I am also very unusual in my body proportions and will definitely not fit anything off the rack.

My question is, what do I look for in a wetsuit when I've never even tried one on before? Since I'm going to be dropping a few hundred dollars on it, I want to get one that I will be satisfied with for a while. There is no place locally for me (that I know of) that makes them custom so I will be ordering it online. There are a lot of options (front, back entry, arm and leg zippers, thickness, material etc) and I find myself unsure of how to proceed. I'm pretty sure I want 3 mm full suit but the range of prices and styles is so wide I can't help but feel like I am just guessing at what will work best.

Any advice from you veterans?

I understand your trepidations since I'm not a "stock size". I recommend that you visit as many dive shops in your area and try on different brands, styles & sizes, play with the different features, feel the differences in the various neoprene options, consider layering alternatives, etc. Different brands are cut on different patterns so some will fit certain body types better than others. Some brands have more extensive sizing (more "tween sizes, talls, shorts, pluses, etc.). You could be surprised that a stock suit might work for you with minor alterations like limb lengths. And again, your LDS probably works with someone that does this. Then you will be able to make a more informed choice about what you like or don't like when you do purchase your suit or order a custom-made suit.

Good luck with your class. You will love Key Largo.

You should find out how warm the water is where you are going to be diving. When my wife and I first did our cert in Mexico I darn near died of over heating. My local dive shop talked me into a 3mm full body. After that I went to Costco and bought a $40.00 shorty and never looked back. The shorty is much easier to get on and off. The Ocean was much warmer than the indoor pool that I did my training in. I do need to warn you though that I live just this side of hell on earth where a nice day is minus 10 celsius in the winter. Today is minus 25.

Take a look at the Pinnacle wetsuits. You may find you can do something off the rack from them. They have quite a variety of sizes and a very extensive sizing chart. They are also very warm and durable suits.

Wetsuits have changed a lot over the years. One of the more recent introductions is the "Hyperstretch" or "very stretchy" materials. These stretchy materials are very accomodating and forgiving. The older neoprene materials do not stretch near as much and these are still sold and are still on the racks. Look for and ask for wetsuits made of the extremely stretchy materials. These seem to work for people of all proportions.

I purchased a Pinnacle from Leisure Pro and it was cut a little small compared to other brands. I liked the material, but it fit funny, was difficult to put on, and was too small.

Leisure Pro traded it for a Neo Sport of the same size and it fits and works much better for me personally. The Neo Sport is cut larger and the material is very stretchy. I also have an Aqualung made of the stretchy material and I am very happy with it also.

I like the type jump suit that zips up the back. I personally do not concern myself with the leg and arm "seals" because once the suit fills with water (and your body warms the water) it is difficult for any more water to enter.

The 3mm is the correct thickness for the water where you are unless you dive the colder months. If you dive the colder months you will want a 5mm also.

Tip: Remove all facial makeup before diving. Makeup with transfer through the water in the mask, attach to the lens glass, and cause fogging. A clean mask lens will almost never fog.

Good luck and visit us in South Carolina for some great diving!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I will check into the links/brands you suggest. in answer to carriesal, i am just under 5' tall, my waist and rib cage are extremely small (>30") and my bust and hips are extremely large. the last measurement chart I looked at put me at an Xlarge in the chest, a medium in the hips, small waist and not even on the chart for height. which of course makes me extremely hesitant to guess what will work- fit the largest part of me (chest), and the rest of me will look like i'm a child wearing my father's wetsuit! fit the next size down, and i may not be able to breathe.

i guess i'm just going to have to scour the atlanta area for a dive shop with a large enough selection of suits that i can try a lot on and get a better idea. but i just can't imagine, unless they really offer a lot of stretch, that i'm going to find something to fit well. if i can have it altered, that may be a better option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom