First trip - how many days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Cancun & PdC in December. I prefer PdC to hang out, go to restaurants, etc. Just has a nicer vibe. Even though its grown so much since I last went 20 years ago, it retains a "beach town" feel in some areas. Also, its more walkable.

Cancun feels too touristy. Yes I realize PdC is also touristy & crowded, but Cancun feels really touristy.

It also depends on what you want to do. Both Cancun & PdC have nice beaches.

If you want to take tours to Tulum, Coba & cenotes, PdC is closer. You can do the tours from Cancun, but would add 45 min. Chichen Itza is a bit closer to Cancun.

However, it sounds like you want to chill & hang out, in which case, I prefer PdC.

Edit - see that you had ruled out Cancun. I cant comment on Cozumel, as I haven't been in years.

Fun bars with fun owners
The Pub Great food, darts, shuffle board.. always energetic
Kellys Sports Bar, lots of TVs to watch games
Thirsty Cougar-good food and people watching

If you are in Cozumel on a Sunday, make sure you make it to the square in the evening to experience the local culture. Everyone dressed in their Sunday best, great music, and dancing. It is a fun evening to watch and even participate in the activities. For me, much better than sitting in the bar drinking.

Divegoose

One of the main reasons we try to at least go from Friday to Monday (11 days) is to get two Sundays in town ...

That Sunday festival sounds like fun. I can't wait!

Well, there is basically no night life in cozumel beyond walking around the square, or a late dinner or a few drinks in some quiet bar...
Although Cozumel is quieter than Cancun (for sure) and PdC (probably), it's not quite true that there is no Cozumel night life. There are a few bars with live music on the island that are open late. I don't know where they are, exactly, because I have only heard them from the street, but they exist.

I will use all your guys info too, heading to PDC for 2 weeks in 10 more days. Picked PDC over Cozumel because my wife is only a waist deep water person. Rented a house with pool up by the mall so she has a place to hang while I'm getting my OW and diving. Then heading to west coast for a month to our usual quiet little fishing village.

might be a good idea to spend the last day and night in Playa, or even Puerto Morelos, just to be closer to the Cancun airport, PM is actually closer to the Cancun airport and Cancun is.

if ever got stuck doing the bag drag, I'd spend the last night in PM ...

there's plenty to do in the afternoon and evening. Plenty of activities to keep you busy during the afternoon, & lots of live music every night with some GREAT restaurants.

Have to say you got me thinking outside my box as my travel is always 1 week stays at the same place.

First choice for me would be to stay on Coz all week for the diving and, besides things already mentioned, go to the Tiki Tok in town for dinner and local night life and spend an evening doing the pirate dinner cruise. Would set up at least one excursion on mainland (take the ferry to PDC) such as Xel Ha water park or some sightseeing tour.

If I knew I was spending 2 days elsewhere, PDC allows you to enjoy more vacation time and less moving day travel time. You can get your own transportation to one of the attractions that are within 30 minute drive. There are plenty of watering holes and may be entertainment if you have rooms at a resort you may have free entertainment.

My only other thought for those 2 days (because it is on my list of things to do) depending on the time of year you are going and knowing the travel time would have to work out, would be to stay in Cancun so I could snorkel with the whale sharks. That would seem like a rushed day though.

PDC seems like the logical choice if you have to move from Coz. Enjoy the trip.

Last time we did bag drag we ferried over from Coz and booked a room (Hotel Cielo) for the day for showers and gear storage (to spend at the PDC beach) before leaving late the same day to go to the hotel close to the airport in CUN for early departure the next morning .... great afternoon on the beach

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom