First trip to Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanning

New
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Bali for the first time at the end of July. We are going there to visit family and only have 2 or 3 days to dive. We are both intermediate divers that enjoy all types of diving.

What dive sites would you recommended that we visit?

Where would you recommended we stay?

What dive outfit would you recommend?

We are really excited to go and realize that July is a popular month for diving so want to get everything booked as soon as possible. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

Tanning,
for the first timer, the tulamben area will keep you busy for 2-3 days. No big fishes (except 1.3m mr. cuda and bumphead at the wrecks, or mola if super lucky), about diversity, wreck, muck, drift and wall dive.
there's dozens accomodations from budget to high end at tulamben and amed. TWD, Mimpi, LDR, tauch terminal are among the most popular at Tulamben. For budget, go to puri mada, the closest to the wreck.
all have their own dive operation.

Hello Tanning,

Bali is a great place for diving. Where are you guys coming from?

There many dive sites in Bali but you can divide it into 3 regions:

South Bali: Sanur + Nusa Pendia & Nusa Lembongan

Sanur isn't the best place for diving but you can take daily trips to Nusa Penida & Nusa Lembongan where the diving is excelent. Big chance to see Manta Rays there and a possibility to see bigger fish like sharks, mola mola (sun fish)..It takes about an hour + to get to the islands and there are a few operators that do the trip

East Bali: Amed, Tulamben

You can use Amed as a base to dive the region. Amed is a laid back fisher village with resorts on the coast line. The diving there is amazing. The 120 m USS Liberty Shipwreck is one of the easiest and most impressive wreck dives in the world. The coral reefs in the Amed region are rated almost the best many people have seen. Especially south from Jemeluk Bay it gets better and better. There is Japanese Shipwreck, Bunutan Reef and the best of the best is the Selang Bay area, the most eastern point of Bali. Great visibility, big fish and stretched out untouched coral fields. You will probably be the only one diving there because the places are a bit out of the way. Most diving operators don't go there but there are a few in Amed that organize trips there.

North Bali: Menjangan Island and Pemutaran

Excellent wall diving in the north of Bali, far away from the hussle and bussle of the south. You can spend 2-3 days here exploring the reefs.

Check out the following places to stay and dive:

Amed: Puri Wirata Dive Resort & Spa Welcome to Puri Wirata Dive Resort, Villas and Spa - PADI 5 STAR RESORT - Amed - Bali | PURI WIRATA Dive Resort & Spa - Amed Resort
Tulamben: Tauchterminal Bali Tulamben Tauch Resort,Tauchen,Tauchkurse,Indonesien Tauchkreuzfahrten

Depending on the time you have you can visit all those places. But you will need at least 14 days for that. If you just want to have a look at the best sites in short time I advice you to stay in Amed. It is a little bit more stylish than Tulamben and the dive sites around it are much nicer and less busy. From Amed it is in easy 30 minute busride if you would like to dive the USS Liberty.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more!

Hi Tanning,

I if i were you i would look at doing a Best of Bali Package where you will get a taste of what the diving in Bali has to offer with dives in and around Tulamben on the USAT Liberty Wreck and its surrounding reefs and also the majestic dives at Nusa Penida where in July there is a high possibility that you will encounter a Mola Mola.

Phil

Hi Tanning,

I if i were you i would look at doing a Best of Bali Package where you will get a taste of what the diving in Bali has to offer with dives in and around Tulamben on the USAT Liberty Wreck and its surrounding reefs and also the majestic dives at Nusa Penida where in July there is a high possibility that you will encounter a Mola Mola.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom