First trip to Cozumel - What are your top recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend using pesos only, and if using an ATM to get them make sure it is at a bank.
...or at a bank owned ATM in a secure location, I would say. I use the Santander one in the municipal building across the street from the El Cantil. DO NOT use the standalone privately owned ATM's that are out on the sidewalks in town.

...or at a bank owned ATM in a secure location, I would say. I use the Santander one in the municipal building across the street from the El Cantil. DO NOT use the standalone privately owned ATM's that are out on the sidewalks in town.

+1 on which ATMs
+1 on a SMB

If you dive enriched air, ask the op you are using if they have an analyzer on EVERY boat.

Walk everywhere you go if you stay anywhere near downtown to go eat.
Go to to main square off Calle Sur 1 on Sunday late afternoon/evening to enjoy some local culture and food.

Another +1 for a SMB/DSMB. Separation from group from all the drift diving is a real possibility.

+1 on ATMs. A few years ago there were issues with the ones at airport being tagged with card readers. I exchanged enough money to get me started here at home then went to Santander bank as well when I got there but a real branch, not a standalone or one at airport. Got the best rate and since I have Bank of America there was no fee.

If diving cenotes is not on your list, it should be. It's worth it and incredible!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice!

I will definitely be bringing a DSMB for the currents and checking out some of the other recommendations listed here!

Eat at Guidos.

If you have not deployed a bouy before speak with Jorge or Edgar prior to diving and let them know. Provided the conditions are safe to do so they will usually spend a couple minutes assisting you with it the first time. All those funny videos on the Internet showing folks getting tangled in a line are funny after the fact, not at the time.
Another really good Italian restaurant is Benitos. It's about 8 blocks up from Chedraui on the corner of Xel Ha and 45th, across from the pool. Very good pizza and pasta.

Last edited:
All those funny videos on the Internet showing folks getting tangled in a line are funny after the fact, not at the time.
Oh, I don't know. When it happened to me my wife thought it was pretty funny.

Bank of America ended it's relationship with Santander several years ago - now there are fees. I opened a Charles Schwab ATM account (no fees) just for that reason. I suggest you check with the bank where you have your ATM to find out what the fees will be when you withdraw pesos from a Mexican bank. Withdrawing more at a time vs less can save you some money. +1 on always using a bank ATM to withdraw money.

+1 on ATMs.... then went to Santander bank as well when I got there but a real branch, not a standalone or one at airport. Got the best rate and since I have Bank of America there was no fee.

Bank of America ended it's relationship with Santander several years ago - now there are fees. I opened a Charles Schwab ATM account (no fees) just for that reason. I suggest you check with the bank where you have your ATM to find out what the fees will be when you withdraw pesos from a Mexican bank. Withdrawing more at a time vs less can save you some money. +1 on always using a bank ATM to withdraw money.

Bummer! I used them in Sept 2015 and they were still a partner. It looks like Scotiabank in Mexico is a partner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom