First Trip to Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the foodie... Best burger is sunshine suites. Chicken Chicken is like bosten market but much much better..... My favorite restaurants on the last go around were Michael's Genuine and Morgan Harbor.

Conditions kind of suck right now to be honest. Cold front last week narrowed the diving options quite a bit and the outer bands of Rina have kicked up a bit of texture the last couple of days. At least the sun's out today. It's rained more in the week and 1/2 we've been down here this time than it did the entire three months we were down here over the winter.

Where is your bride doing her OW and where are you staying?

Have fun!

hq most ops on GC are good, depending on where you are staying it might be easier to use one that is local to you or willing to pick you up from your hotel/condo.

I usually dive with DNS diving because they have 3 boats and will try to dive the North wall when possible but also have a boat on the west side .I have dove most all ops on GC and like I said all were good.

There are shore dives available if you want to go that route,again depending on where you stay and if you have a car .
Eden Rock (Georgetown) is a fairly good dive when the cruise ships aren't in.It is worn and beat up but there is still an amazing amount of life both macro and larger there .
Turtle Farm (West Bay) great dive.You can do 2 different dives there if you head left at the mini wall you will run into many many large Tarpon ,they are residents there,and if you go right you will go a little deeper and see a more varied wall.Also there is a Goliath Grouper which I have seen several times there.Has a Bar/Restuarant on site and a full service dive shop.
Light House Point (West Bay) just a little south of Turtle farm.Similiar to Turtle farm but I always seem to see more macro critters there.
Sunset House (Georgetown -South of) has the mermaid and a sunken barge again it is well dove but still a nice dive.Has a bar/Restuarant on site.Full service dive shop .

There is almost every fast food place on 7 mile beach.For some decent places try Cimboca,Morgans Harbor,Tim-buk-to,Deckers,Eats is probably the least expensive with the most varied menu.

Where are you staying?

AMBASSADOR DIVERS are the best! Go to their spot to dive with and feed the rays. It's a lot better than snorkeling at Stingray City. If you snorkel in front of the Coral Sands resort, wave to the family of five giant parrot fish for me.

Obviously, you're getting a lot of different ideas and recommendations. Everyone has their favorite place. This is my wife's and mine.

We've made seven dive trips to Grand Cayman ... stayed on Seven Mile Beach, Sunset House and Cobalt Coast ... dove with four different operators. Our last four trips have been to Cobalt Coast and Divetech. And, we'll be going back again, next year.

We have many reasons for why we keep going back to the same place. Starting with the diving. Cobalt Coast is located on the northwestern shore of Grand Cayman. Whenever the winds are favorable, you'll be diving the north wall. That's not something you'll be able to do if you're at Sunset House or diving with one of the SMB operators. Like others have said, the north wall offers great diving. The wall and reef architecture at sights like Ghost Mountain and Princess Penny's Pinnacle is amazing. It's also a great place to spot Eagle Rays and larger fish.

When the winds aren't favorable for the north wall, you'll dive the west wall. But, you'll be at the northern sites away from the cruise ship crowds and the Georgetown mob.

The Divetech crew are great DMs and instructors. Divetech is well known for its kids' programs and for being expert trainers in tech diving and rebreathers. One of their instructors was named "instructor of the year" this year by Grand Cayman's dive operators association. I can say from experience, that all of the Divetech instructors are very good teachers. Even though your wife is only doing her check dives, I think she will appreciate their attention and profesionalism. She won't just get her ticket punched.

There are always three DMs/Instructors on each dive boat; two in the water and another topside with the boat. They do a great job of combining vigilance with humor. They'll give you as much independence you want, but they'll also keep a very close eye on you while they access your diving skills and if they see a problem, they'll be quick to deal with it. That said, they give the most complete and most humorous dive briefings I've attended anywhere. Over the years, and many dives, they have become good friends.

Cobalt and Divetech offer the best shore diving anywhere on the island. Actually, there are two sites; one at Cobalt Coast, the other at Lighthouse Point, about a mile or so down the road. This is also good because if it's too windy at Cobalt, LHP is nearly always wind free. If you're diving with them, Divetech is great about taking you to and from LHP. Both reefs are very healthy and offer a lot to see in both varieties of coral and critters. My favorite night dives have been off Cobalt Coast where I've typically seen octopi, eels, lobster, porcupine fish, squid, etc.

Cobalt Coast is also very unique. It's more like staying at a bed and breakfast than a hotel. From the moment you arrive and the owner, Arie, greets you and takes your bags as you step off the van you'll experience a level of service that you'll find in very other resorts around the world. It's as impeccable as it is casual. Your treated like a friend; not as "the people in room 443."

The suites are spacious and clean. You'll like the big, european style tub and shower.

And then there's the restaurant. If you want to party, Sunset House is the place to go. But, if you want good food and a good deal, then Cobalt Coast can't be beat. My wife and I have been to all-inclusive dive resorts elsewhere in the Caribbean. While the diving was great, the food was pretty mediocre. Not at Cobalt Coast. The menu has an excellent mix of salads, appetisers, sandwiches and entrees. The nightly specials are excellent and the soup of the day is always to die for. If you like food, you'll enjoy Cobalt Coast nearly as much as the diving.

I could go on and on. I'll just say that while every resort and dive op claims to have the best diving or the best rooms and accomodations, you won't find any with the same warmth, service and friendliness as Cobalt Coast and Divetech. And, when you come here, you'll be meeting old friends for the first time.

hq most ops on gc are good, depending on where you are staying it might be easier to use one that is local to you or willing to pick you up from your hotel/condo.

I usually dive with dns diving because they have 3 boats and will try to dive the north wall when possible but also have a boat on the west side .i have dove most all ops on gc and like i said all were good.

There are shore dives available if you want to go that route,again depending on where you stay and if you have a car .
Eden rock (georgetown) is a fairly good dive when the cruise ships aren't in.it is worn and beat up but there is still an amazing amount of life both macro and larger there .
Turtle farm (west bay) great dive.you can do 2 different dives there if you head left at the mini wall you will run into many many large tarpon ,they are residents there,and if you go right you will go a little deeper and see a more varied wall.also there is a goliath grouper which i have seen several times there.has a bar/restuarant on site and a full service dive shop.
Light house point (west bay) just a little south of turtle farm.similiar to turtle farm but i always seem to see more macro critters there.
Sunset house (georgetown -south of) has the mermaid and a sunken barge again it is well dove but still a nice dive.has a bar/restuarant on site.full service dive shop .

There is almost every fast food place on 7 mile beach.for some decent places try cimboca,morgans harbor,tim-buk-to,deckers,eats is probably the least expensive with the most varied menu.

Where are you staying?

dns +1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom