First Trip with Own Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraLynnee

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I'm hoping to get some advice about traveling with my own dive gear via plane to the Bahamas. What should I put in my carryon? Is there a special type of carryon that's designed for this purpose? What's okay to check? Anything to be aware of for customs or the like? Thanks for your input!

For me, my regs and computer go in a reg bag (one carry-on)w/ books, money, water. In my other carry-on goes masks, coffee maker, coffee, ditty bag, meds, dive light w/ batteries removed, change of clothes and my 3/2mm skin. Everything else (BCD, fins, booties, knife, clothes) goes in a suitcase. Never had any problems. Although, getting my suitcase to 50 lbs has become more of a challenge.

Hope this helps.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

LauraLynnee:
Hi Everyone-

I'm hoping to get some advice about traveling with my own dive gear via plane to the Bahamas. What should I put in my carry-on? Is there a special type of carry-on that's designed for this purpose? What's okay to check? Anything to be aware of for customs or the like? Thanks for your input!

I use a regular rolling suitcase (i.e. not bought in dive store) that is just under the legal limit for carry-on.

In that suitcase I put my Knighthawk BC, Dive Computer, Regulator, Mask (prescription) & snorkel. My C cards, reservations, passport, small dive light and other small things that can fit in the remaining space in this carry-on. I also, carry-on My camera & strobe in a shoulder bag.

I have not run into any problems within the two years that that I have been going on vacation with dive equipment.

I would also pack any medications, important papers and key contact information etc. into this carry-on.

Fins, booties, wet suits, larger dive lights etc go into checked baggage.

ronbeau:
Fins, booties, wet suits, larger dive lights etc go into checked baggage.
Is there any sort of extra insurance you can get to cover all the stuff in the checked luggage, in case if the bag will "disappear" somewhere on the way? Because otherwise the airline company will compensate something like $250 for the whole bag :sad:

I pack my reg and computers in my reg bag and carry that on with me. I also carry on a backpack full of toiletries and my camera. I check my dive bag, which has the remainder of my items in it. I used to carry my lights on with me, but after a while I stopped worrying about my gear so much and now I'm just sure to wrap them in my wetsuit to protect them, and I remove the batteries to prevent burn-through.

The Bahamas is a large country made up of many islands. Some islands are served by Cessna 400 serries aircraft. Carry-on is irrelevant if that's where you are headed.

My advice? Insure it through one of the many dive related companies and check it through. Put 3 tags on your bags showing your routing (flight number/date/airport code) and destination address/contact phone #- in addition to the tag the airline sticks on it. Put an additional routing slip inside, on the top layer. More bags get lost than get stolen. Plain fact.

SCUBA gear being stolen from airports? Not likely. Increased security makes theft even less profitable. Try pricing the value of your $1500 worth of stuff after you have walked out of the dive shop with it. Play-It-Again Sports doesn't even want it.

Buy a good bag/suitcase, label it well, buy insurance. Me? I will carry my computer and anything perscription, but carry a regulator? Not on this planet.

I check two bags - Its allowed you know. They are old junky looking luggage.

My computer, mask and dive logs (with C Cards and DAN info) are the only dive items in my carryon.

:lurk:

I have a trip in July - looking to optimize my packing as well.

At the suggestion of another diver, I got a North Face Terra 40 pack which is within the carry-on dimension requirements of all major airlines.

I intend to pack mask, reg & computer in that bag, along with all documentation (passport, DAN, etc, etc).

I'll then check a bag with fins, suit and BCD.

Question for everyone:
1. What dive equipment insurance do you use/have if any??

truemetal:
Is there any sort of extra insurance you can get to cover all the stuff in the checked luggage, in case if the bag will "disappear" somewhere on the way? Because otherwise the airline company will compensate something like $250 for the whole bag :sad:

one thing I do to limit this is I buy all my tickets with Amex. they have travel insurance. it's like $4 per ticket (not leg). if my bags are stolen they will reinburse me. I haven't had to use it yet but my father, who travels much more than I do, had his bag stolen one time. the rules are something like if it's lost for 1 hr they will let you spend a few hundres ($200?) to replace what was in there in case you need it that quick. if it was lost completly they will reinburse you for everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom