First underwater rig - S95 or G12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm a very experienced photographer topside. I mainly shoot Canon SLRs. However, I do not want to spend the money or deal with the size of kitting one of my SLRs for use underwater. So, I'm looking for a point n shoot and a housing. I have narrowed it down to the S95 and the G12. My main goals are to have some keepsake type photos and to take video clips when I feel like it.

As far as I can tell, the main difference is that the G12 will let me use a TTL flash and the S95 is smaller. Anything thing else to keep in mind when selecting between these two? Recommendations?

SO VERY interested in the answers here. I'm in the same boat. Have lots of topside experience with Canons but new to diving and really don't want the bulk of suiting up my DSLR. I *think* I have pretty much decided on the S95 because of the lens and ability to shoot without strobes with a 2.0 aperture whenever possible.

The G12 will have better macro capabilities and yes, TTL hardwired through the hotshoe "S95 can have simulated TTL with certain strobes". S95 can accept a variety of wet lenses for wide angle photography. Even though I shoot with a G10/Ikelite setup and do a lot of macro, if I was to purchase a Point and Shoot system today it would be the FIX/S95 combo. Its overall a better system for underwater use. Check this thread for an in depth analysis: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/317325-fisheye-fix-s90.html

You might also want to check out the various Micro Four Thirds systems. They match the compactness of a point n shoot with the lens interchangeability and larger sensor of an SLR. My next underwater system will definitely be in this format, I'm just waiting to see Canon's lineup.

You should look at the whole system, housing and possible accessory lenses for wide angle and macro before you decide on the camera. The camera can turn out to be as little a 1/4 of your total investment. The rest being the strobes, arms, accessories and lenses.

If you really like Canon, I went with the FIX and S90 (S95 being very similar) because of the variety of adapters, rings and accessory lenses that would work with it. I also liked the fiber optic connection rather than dealing with wired TTL connection to the strobe. I also got the INON UFL165AD Fisheye lens and UCL165AD Macro lenses.

The RecSea S95 housing is more like the FIX S90 housing in its adapters for accessory lenses, so the huge thread for the FIX S90 is very much consistent with the RecSea S95 housing.

The FIX S95 housing seems to have some changes relative to adapters and accessory lenses. There are some threads discussing those differences as well.

As mentioned by previous post, lots of potential with the EVIL or 4/3 systems. Though I have not looked at the range of wide angle and macro lenses available for them.

opinion.png

I have a G10 in a Canon housing with a Sea & Sea YS27-DX. I used a borrowed S90 in a Canon housing about six times, some of them with my strobe. I do not use any wet mount lenses.

Okay here goes:
1. G cameras have more zoom than S cameras and that effects the use of a wide angle wet-mount lens as respects vignetting. More of an issue with the G camera.
2. The S camera is better than the G camera in a Canon housing if one is to use the camera without an external strobe. This is because the lens tunnel on the G camera housings protrude more than the S housings so as to accommodate the zoom thereby creating a dark area on the bottom right of the photo on close-up macro shots. Not an issue on either with an external strobe.
3. If wet-mount lenses are to be used then the Canon housing is not the better choice with it's oval lens port requiring adapters.
4. If you have the money look into going with one of the EVIL systems. If not "ozziworld" has a great setup.

I don't have the money and I'm happy with my G10 in my Canon housing and my slave strobe and no wet-mount lenses. That's why I'm an amateur photographer and am content to remain so :biggrin:

Both models are certainly viable options. I too, shoot topside with Canon DSLR's, L Series Glass, etc.

I went with the S90. It's literally like having a DSLR in your pocket (or in your housing) :wink:. Full manual operation, 2.0 aperture, RAW, video, and lot's of options for underwater use. And at the end of the day, (or dive trip), I'm getting great pic's !

Good Luck !

Grrrr. I swear I wrote a nice reply to this thread but I don't see it.

OK, I am leaning strongly towards the S95. Can I get some help with the rest? I am thinking one strobe at most, but remember the goal here is keepsake shots not magazine shots and to be an add on to the dive not consume the whole dive.

I see a lot of threads about ikelite housings and the s2000 strobe. Thoughts on those?

Hi happysnapper,
Like you, I am a pro photographer and have at my disposal a large array of medium format and dSLR cameras and lenses. 18 months ago I started looking for a P&S compact to carry with me for location scouting and set assesment tasks. I settled on the Canon G10 (G11 predecessor)and never looked back. The ease of use and familar user interface of dials and buttons was excactly what i was looking for and to date I have actually used the camera twice as my primary camera on the job because of weight and bulk issues and have found the picture quality to be outstanding for what the camera is!
As I have also been an underwater housing manufacturer for the past twenty odd years I was also looking for a camera that would adapt itself to underwater use! I was planning on building my own housing but after doing the design and the maths I settled for the Patima alloy housing from Korea and am so glad I did. This is quite possibly the best built housing dollar for dollar I have ever seen!
The question regarding the W/Angle lenses is an issue of great debate on these forums and I think the best advice I can give is to read as many of the posts regarding this matter as you can and make an informed choice to as to what suits your style best. Personally I don't like fisheye wide angle and so I chose the 105 degree FOV WA lens from Reef Photo and Video that is made specifically for the Patima housing and as this gives razor sharp pictures corner to corner I have been very happy with the results so far!
As you don't give an indication of you budget I won't advise you to buy this housing or any other as each has its own pros and cons in regards to the types of W/Angle lenses that can be attached and how wide they can go!

Hope this helps!

Peter

Grrrr. I swear I wrote a nice reply to this thread but I don't see it.
if I wanted something complicated, I'd kit an SLR. I'm really looking for something flexible enough to let me be a little creative but small and uncomplicated enough that it is an accessory for a good dive and dealing with the camera is not the focus.

Exactly where I have been for years using a Pentax Optio in the OEM Pentax housing with no strobe, zero problems and excellent results.

Now I'm using the Canon S95 in the Canon WP-DC38 with no strobe, zero problems and almost the same results exept in the macro end of things. The Pentax excelled in that regard IMO.

However, lately I've started using a diffuser on my HID to provide continous lighting in place of the on camera flash. Works great. Just a thought.

I have the G11 in a Patima housing and i am very happy.
I prefer the G11/12 over the S90/95 because of it's size.
The S90/95 without housing feels unconfortable in my hands so i went
for the beefier G11 and also, the S90/S95 is still too big to stay in "normal" bcd pockets
The S90 in the FIX housing offers the widest WA (165°) of all housings, but i am happy
with my screw-on INON UWL-100, and there is a opional dome port for this lens to go from 100° to 130° fov.

Using a external strobe will greatly enhance your photos and you will soon get one,
belive me.
Using a Inon D-2000 on a short flex or ball joint arm don't add so much drag and size,
and it makes a nice handle and i have 2 snap bolts on boths sides in order that i can clip the camera on my chest d-rings so she is protected and i have my hands free.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom