First underwater rig - S95 or G12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read about those issues and a number saying the Ikelite housing isn't fitting right and in some cases cracking the display on the S95.

I believe you're referring to this thread ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/360702-ikelite-housing-pressing-s95-lcd-screen.html

It's my S90 that was cracked (one instance, not "in some cases"), but Ikelite has not even had a chance to evaluate this issue yet. Since I wasn't about to pay Canon $150 to replace the screen, my camera is on the way back from them unrepaired, at which point I will send it and the housing to Ikelite.

I should also say, in Ikelite's defense, that their rep PM'd me about the issue, asking for the opportunity to deal with it, before I even had a chance to bring it to their attention. The point is, I believe it's premature to jump to any conclusion about this issue.

So do the Iklite houseings hold the wetlenses better? I am reading as much as I can trying to work out the best solution for me. I have been getting some reasonable results with my old Sony P93 but want to upgrade.

I have a problem with one hand and arm so I need something I can stow easily so I haven't gone to the strobe. It is unlikely I will ever go the strobe route but a possibility I guess. I do want to be able to fit wetlenses. most likely the macro lense. I may look at a wide angle lense before we go for our next major dive holiday.

Is the Iklite housing significantly bigger than the Cannon one? Is the G12 in housing likely to be significantly larger than the S95. It seems the 95 does pretty much what the G12 does. I do take video clips. My shots are for personal enjoyment, memories and to share with non diving friends/family.

Most of my diving is local shore dives and the entry/exit can be tricky so stowing the camera is important to me.

Back
Top Bottom