First underwater rig - S95 or G12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the S90/S95 is still too big to stay in "normal" bcd pockets
I think I noticed somewhere else that the OP has chosen to dive a backplate/wing rather than a BC.

Using a external strobe will greatly enhance your photos and you will soon get one, belive me.
Strobes are definitely nice ~ but not everyone ends up getting one. I've been doing without one for years and since I started using continuous lighting with good success I might never get a strobe.

This was taken with continous lighting (diffused HID) in water conditions that were *dusty* enough a strobe would have turned it into a snow scene. That and the diffused HID seems to attract some fish.
ratfish-0423.jpg

If I read correctly, the OP wanted simplicity without the photography "taking over" the dive. And if the OP ends up getting an HID canister light there is the continuous lighting already at hand.

Backplate/wing/harness with a clipped off point`n`shoot. Not for everyone and not for everywhere... but maybe the simplicity that the OP is looking for.
Ron-0649.jpg

Uncle Pug,
harnesses can have optinal pockets too, and rather large ones as well.
This for example may be a solution to stow the WP-DC35 housing without strobe.
Ok, i correct myself, most of uw photographer will end buying a strobe,
there are other solutions like torches, video lights, ambient light and some may use them.
I personally find holding a torch or have it mounted on a goodman handle not a very
comfortable solution, but everybody has his very own system he feels confortable with.

Can you please explain me/us why HID torche don't create backscatter and why HID torches attract some fishes?

Chris

I do dive a BP&W and I don't have pockets. The rest is pretty much right on for what I am looking for.

A canister light is on the list of things to get and now you've got me thinking. Perhaps I can do that got a while and decide about a strobe later. I'm interested to hear more about the use of your HID and why you find it superior to a strobe.

I personally find holding a torch or have it mounted on a goodman handle not a very comfortable solution, but everybody has his very own system he feels confortable with.
Yeah... it isn't for everyone, and many a time I wished that I had a strobe when the onboard flash filled the picture with snow. But since I always have an HID in hand it isn't an uncomfortable addition to me. And it works great with the diffuser.

Can you please explain me/us why HID torche don't create backscatter and why HID torches attract some fishes?
I can't explain why the fish seem to be attracted to the diffused HID but I have noticed a difference in the short time I've been using it.

As for backscatter, the bare HID will create some side scatter but it would have to be on axis to create backscatter. Easy and natural enough to hold it off to the side. Plus you can move it around to get the effect you want without quessing. With the diffuser it acts like studio hot lighting and seemingly no backscatter.

This is what I think is happening: with a diffuser on the HID, the softened light *wraps around* the stuff in the water column without lighting it up like a bare HID or strobe would.

Here is an example (I posted this in another thread) and notice how much stuff there is in the water illuminated by my buddy's hid but it is not showing up in my lighting. Also I was able to get the shadow detail on the sponge and light his face evenly without any reflection from the faceplate even though there are still catch lights in the eyes.
shane_PPF-0334.jpg

I'm interested to hear more about the use of your HID and why you find it superior to a strobe.
I don't really find it superior to a strobe just more convenient on several levels.

1. Expense
2. Flood potential
3. Slower to position
4. Lack of streamlining
5. Hard edged light and shadows

Since you are an above water photographer you probably already know the benefits of light modifiers and modeling lights. The diffused HID fills both those roles.

Plus, with the easy off / easy on diffuser cap I made I still have my HID for its primary purpose which is communication.

Last edited:
old_diver_camera_laptop.png

Uncle Pug you are the expert with an S95 without an external strobe as proven by your photos.

:shocked2: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to try and come across as an expert on anything. I'm just enthusiastic about the viability of using a modified HID for the strobless amongstus.

Last edited:
Hi. I am new here & I am new to UW photography. I have been using a Canon Powershot S 30 with a canon housing with mixed results. I wanted to upgrade to a better but affordable system & I am considering a Canon S95 with Canon housing. However, I have read a few reviews trashing the Canon housing. All other housings are considerable more expensive & if I am not likely to use a strobe & / or wet lenses anytime soon, do they have an edge over the Canon housing? All tips & suggestions most appreciated. Thanks --- Ravi

Hi. I am new here & I am new to UW photography. I have been using a Canon Powershot S 30 with a canon housing with mixed results. I wanted to upgrade to a better but affordable system & I am considering a Canon S95 with Canon housing. However, I have read a few reviews trashing the Canon housing. All other housings are considerable more expensive & if I am not likely to use a strobe & / or wet lenses anytime soon, do they have an edge over the Canon housing? All tips & suggestions most appreciated. Thanks --- Ravi

two edges i can think of this time of night [03.30] for the fix or recsea housings

1. the use of the real wheel with the canon these functions on this is done via the "S" button, some manage this ok others find this fidderly

2. appears to be a number of reported leaks-althought there are other threads giving advice on how to poss solve these

I read about those issues and a number saying the Ikelite housing isn't fitting right and in some cases cracking the display on the S95.

I ordered the Fix S95. It was expensive, but I think it was the right choice. I'll just use it without a strobe for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom