Fish Feeder (underwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinmanJones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello guys and gals.
I was hoping to find some info, pics, suggestions, etc. on building an underwater fish feeder.
I dive mostly freshwater lakes and see hundreds of fish on any given dive, but would like to put together some sort of feeder, that would attract mainly catfish, but any fish would be good as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Buy onions in that plastic net, it's usually yellow or orange, thus nicely visible.

Go to a store that sell aquariums with freshwater fish, especially tropical.

You can get frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp for food, or make your own. There's some youtube videos on making your own food for freshwater tropical fish.

We had just unfrozen a turkey; we used the contents of the bag (hear, liver, etc) boiled as a base in a blender. Add water, the cheapest shrimps (unfrozen) you can buy at the store, a box of fish flakes (for vitamins), lastly fish paste or "fake" crabmeat, and blend it. You can also all a few boiled eggs - fake crabmeat "sticks" are made with fish paste & eggs.
Blend well, add water to get a paste that runs like when you make pancakes.

Put waxed paper in a pan, and pour unto the waxed paper, put in freezer. A few hours later, take it out and break into pieces / chunks of about 1", and put all this in a Ziplock Freezer bag.

Our tropical freshwater fish LOVE it. Sometimes one will "guard" a chunk that sunk to the bottom from the other fish.

Now about the "net" that comes with the onions. This is to capture a bunch of homemade chunks, so that they don't float away every which way. Add a copper or lead weight, attach a fishing line if you want to retrieve it w/o diving, and place it.

If tropical freshwater fish love the homemade mix (including catfish-like species) then your "mix" will be a hit.

*** Much like feeding birds, though, you will create a habit. Some fish will only lay eggs when food is abundant; artificially adding food to an ecosystem might put it off balance.

Mark, interesting suggestions there. I appreciate the time you took to post all these things. As I begin to create my own little feeder/attractor, I will keep all your suggestions on hand. Good stuff. Thanks.

If you are wanting to feed/attract the fish while you are diving, use the pressurized cheese in a can. You can dispense it as needed to feed the fish and the fish love it.

If you are wanting a more permanate solution to attract and keep the fish in the area, use a crawfish sack (plentiful in Louisiana) or mesh bag and fill it with dry dog food.

True, fish in the wild, you don't really care how long they will live like expensive aquarium fish.

OTOH you'd probably be extending their lives in the wild.

I've had success with trout in streams with white bread. Put in a ziplock bag, undo & shake.

LSUFOOTBALLFAN: I use CheeseWhiz quiet abit when I want to look at bream up close. Squeeze a little of that out in the water and they go bonkers.

I'm looking for something that will attract mainly catfish.
Something I can tow with me as I dive. Use a weight to secure it after I reach a certain spot. Then sit back and watch as the fish come.
Dog food is one thing I know attracts catfish in Arkansas. I've used dog food to chum as well as bait on a limb line.

I'm thinking along the lines of a piece of PVC pipe, capped on both ends, with small holes drilled in it so that the bait will slowly be dispersed.

Thanks alot for all the suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom