Fish food

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
I've enjoyed bringing some dry "chum" with me on our shore dives - it takes some creativity to keep amused for two hours underwater!

Nothing bloody or too wet, of course, just some sealed squid or smelt that I can reseal. Makes photography LOTS easier in some cases.

What's your favorite fish food and/or techniques?

none. so I don't condition the fish to lose their fear of people that might spear them to death.

MantaRey once bubbled...
none. so I don't condition the fish to lose their fear of people that might spear them to death.
Right you are, though I completely respect the hunter's right as well. I'm a seaFOOD lover!

No, I'm talking about little blueheads, damsels and maybe triggers. Can't resist feeding an eel either tho. Kinda like feeding ducks at the pond. Makes them smile for the camera.

feeding an eel will be far from feeding a duck. maybe a duck with five rows of teeth? lol not recommended.

if you have to feed fish to photo them (cheater :): I think I've seen these pellet things that they sell (for collectors) you crush em up underwater to feed. probably made of brine.

hunting is ok if you eat the non-endangered thing. but as in the case of trophy murderers (i.e. powerheads and sharks) their heads should be mounted in the bastard hall of fame.

I must say Mike that I am opposed to feeding the marine creatures under any circumstances. It interferes with the balance of nature and we certainly have enough of that on the planet. Sorry I sound like a "tree hugger" as I am really not. I watched the tour boats feed the fish for years here at Molokini Crater. They shredded several loaves of bread and tossed them overboard so as to draw the fish to the boat for their snorkel customers. That practice has been stopped but I wonder how long it will take for a balance of nature to return there as that bread feeding allowed certain species to dominate over others. :shades:

Rey,Eckerd's called my house by mistake,they said your medication was ready.Really just how many powerhead armed shark trophy hunters do you personally know?If you have an agenda here it'd be in your best interests to bring facts and figures to the table.And since when is any human life worth less than an animals?BTW I am against feeding any wild animals but occasionally will use Chex mix to chum up fish for snorkelers or new divers.As if a an 8 ft long surface dweller who arrived in a hydrocarbon-burning,EMF producing,sonar pinging conveyance sticking a $3000 camera 6" away from a fairy basslet or highat isn't already a little disturbing:wink:

I've met some shark/turtle hunters. not here though, in other countries. also have a cousin that's into it (went to nicaragua to do it) and I've interviewed some poachers for a friend of mine's film project. and I can safely say they're bastards.

I have no agenda here, just making convo. it's just that I would like to have something for me to put my $3001 camera 6" away from :D

and if you're referring to submersibles: they are battery powered, explorer subs rarely use sonar (they are not attacking reds), and those cameras are for learning.

No, I was referring to the dive-boat that took the divers to the reef .My beef isn't exactly with you but the Idea that at some point differentiating between the enviromental impacts individuals have on the environment.It's like degrees of sin for an analogy.If you aren't Amish then you are a serious burden on the environment.Pointing the finger at someone else doesn't negate the effect ones own behavior has.A simpler way to say all this would be "He who is without sin cast the 1st stone"Was I clear enough with my metaphors?

MantaRey once bubbled...

I take it you don't spearfish.:D

100days-a-year once bubbled...
No, I was referring to the dive-boat that took the divers to the reef .My beef isn't exactly with you but the Idea that at some point differentiating between the enviromental impacts individuals have on the environment.It's like degrees of sin for an analogy.
Clear enough. I suppose the first sin would be actually getting into the water with the fish, thereby changing their environment.

Everybody will have a different line, but generally I think we're all on the same page here. Temperance and tolerance in "most" things...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom