Fish Gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octopuppy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, so we've seen oodles of dipiction of bubbles around fish in cartoons, graphics, et al. So often that the other day, when diving in Bonaire, a largish tarpon cruised by and *blirb* :bablefish:eek:ut came about 7 bubbles from mouth or gills....didn't think much about it till a few minutes later. My hubby saw it too and when we surfaced exclaimed, "Did you see that?"

So do fish burp or was it something he ate?

Prolly stupid question.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure I heard a whale fart once.

I'd guess your fish just swallowed someone's exhaled bubbles.

I didn't hear this one--but saw it, after I realized what was going on.....

IMG_1241011.jpg

Gross! Lol. I didn't realize what was going on at first, then I did and my stomach turned. Ha!

Real story behind that pic--I didn't realize what 'happened' till later when I put it on my laptop(was diving in Little cayman that week)...Below is a follow up pic I took a few minutes later & a little deeper of a group of black durgeons 'gathered up & eating something'---guess what the something was???...2 & 2 finally added up to 4....

EDIT:the recycling of 'life'......nothing goes to waste......

IMG_1242012-copy_edited-1.jpg

Real story behind that pic--I didn't realize what 'happened' till later when I put it on my laptop(was diving in Little cayman that week)...Below is a follow up pic I took a few minutes later & a little deeper of a group of black durgeons 'gathered up & eating something'---guess what the something was???...2 & 2 finally added up to 4....

EDIT:the recycling of 'life'......nothing goes to waste......

IMG_1242012-copy_edited-1.jpg

LOL! You are making me sick! :rofl3:

hey, you never know what you're gunna 'run' in to down there,.....lol---be prepared

hey, you never know what you're gunna 'run' in to down there,.....lol---be prepared

Lol! I guess not! :)

OP...I honestly don't know if fish have gas...I know there are some animals that are not able to rid themselves of gas.

Although I don't remember seeing fish belch gas out their mouths, there are species that "fart" (actually in some cases it is through a separate opening near the anus) to communicate with others in their school. See my column here.

Then I suggest that you never, ever, ever, under any circumstances ever inquire what the "Warhammer maneuver" is, or view any pics of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom