Fish hand signals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wonbok

Reaction score
When I did a liveboard around the Similans a few weeks ago, the DM refreshed everyone on the "fish hand signals", which everyone seemed to know already except for my wife and myself.

Are fish hand signals used in other areas than the Andaman Sea?
If so, could someone please direct me to a website that teaches hand signals corresponding to each species? (My web search came up with none.)

my OW instructor did the same in koh nang yuan.

my favourite was the sign for trigger fish. she must have told me about 15 different signs and i had some time keeping up with all of them because i had all the other stuff to remember but i also thought this were "regular" signs...

don't know where you can find them but just thought i'd share this.

is this really a thai thing ??

there are lots of fish signals all over the world.

trigger fish (shoot an imaginary gun)
file fish (file an imaginary fingernail)
eagle ray (eagle claws then ray gun signal)
lobster (finger antenae from your head)
moray (bend ring finger and wiggle your little finger)
stone fish (smoke imaginary joint)
arrow crab (shoot imaginary arrow then make crab claws)

there are hundreds, but they are kinda hard to write a discription. It would be easier if there were photos.

That site is great!!!!!! I see nurse sharks all the time... this is going to be a great deal of fun!!

It is for this very reason that I keep a magna-doodle clipped off to a side d-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom