Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHugger

Contributor
Reaction score
Saw some fishermen in Jamaica with a couple of these. Can anyone ID this fish for me? Grouper family??

Was told that they are normally off shore, and very frequently found under rafts of floating weeds or debris. The fish in the picture was about a 2 pounder, but was also told, that they can grow much larger, often exceeding 10 lbs.

Yep. Triple Tail

Thanks Ryan and Dennis - you nailed it.

The fishermen actually called it African Perch, which is not far out when I read up 'Performes'.

Very tasty, by the way :)
Rick

Some of the best eatin' there is. Look for them in the ocean hiding under a sheet of plywood. We pulled a refrigerator shot full of holes out of the water one day. Had 3 or 4 tripletail in it. Yummy.

Frank

PS. By the time we got that fridge back to shore, the smell was enough to gag a maggot. If you ever get the opportunity not to rescue a floating refrigerator, I highly suggest it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom