Fishing in the Marine park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Told" by what locals and how many? Divemasters? Grocery clerks? One local? Two locals? Ten locals?

So he didn't actually observe any fishing in the marine park.

Sorry, this is how rumors get started. Now, without any substance or verification, some people will be skimming Scubaboard threads and six months from now be telling people that they "remember" seeing "some discussion" about fishing in the marine park.
Which is why I am asking for info here

Obviously

Which is why I am asking for info here

Obviously
What information are you expecting to get from us? We know that fishing is not allowed in the marine park. We assume that poaching within the marine park exists, and has always existed. My guess is that it was more widespread when diving was stopped during the worst of the pandemic because it was more likely to go on unobserved, but that's just a guess.

If you are asking if the rules have changed to allow fishing in the park, they haven't, except for lionfish, of course.

Reactions: JFS
Fishing boats troll the deep water edge of the marine park daily. These are boats for tourists who want to go fishing for sailfish, etc. AFAIK, perfectly legal. Personally, I don't think it should be allowed.

We've speculated about the sudden decline in numbers of grouper during the past few years. Can it be the lionfish are eating the fry?

Fishing boats troll the deep water edge of the marine park daily. These are boats for tourists who want to go fishing for sailfish, etc. AFAIK, perfectly legal. Personally, I don't think it should be allowed.

We've speculated about the sudden decline in numbers of grouper during the past few years. Can it be the lionfish are eating the fry?
Could be from people spear fishing them in late afternoon or early morning. I know locals that have done this and even post it to their fakebook account. Groupers are territorial and once they are fished, less chance for breeding. There are very few groupers seen. I used to see quite a few in the north, that would be like winning the lottery now. Doubt that lion fish have anything to do with declines here as there is a big decrease in those as well because of open season on them.

I was recently there and asked one of the fishing boats (our dive boat pulled up next to since they knew each other) - he stated to us that some boats get permissions and licenses for an "allowed" amount and certain types of fish only. These were then provided to some of the restaurants.

I was recently there and asked one of the fishing boats (our dive boat pulled up next to since they knew each other) - he stated to us that some boats get permissions and licenses for an "allowed" amount and certain types of fish only. These were then provided to some of the restaurants.
The only ones Ive heard that can do that are the small commercial boats. Those are the boats you often see on the shoreline downtown. They more than likely keep every fish they catch. they sell to restaurants, cantinas....

Thank you for the responsive information.

1. I seriously doubt when the restaurant says 'grouper' it true most of the time. There are few that actually say wahoo, huachinango, trigger, etc. The rest just say grouper.

2. Parque Marine does waive out the fishing boats when they see them getting to close. its only like 3 km or so wide around Tormentos

Back
Top Bottom