Fitness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'binge' now that sounds familiar, one month I am on the band wagon trying to get fit and the next I am finding it all a bit boring and feel as though I am not getting anywhere.

Jogging is something that I find impacts really hard on my cardio, as I stated earlier I could sit on a bike until the cows come home but ask me to jog down the drive way and I sound like darth vader on steriods. I started jogging about 6 months back but it only took two weeks and then my shins felt like someone was smashing them with a bat every time I walked for the following few months. I would be stoked to be able to do 45 mins on a treadmill without flying off the back and landing in a heap. I guess I'll just have to take my cup of cement and HTFU as my next spending spree probably wont be on an elliptical trainer (damn they're expensive) it will most likely be on scuba gear... I was thinking isotherm, seaquest balance, suunto d6, apeks xtx200, xtx40 occy and a few other bits an pieces, seems to be what most people are running down here and I have heard good things about this equipment.

I started jogging about 6 months back but it only took two weeks and then my shins felt like someone was smashing them with a bat every time I walked for the following few months.

YES

Me too and I have looked into this extensively.

Running on hard pavement, even softer pavement such as asphalt, can do a job on your legs -specifically your ankles and shins- especially if you're not used to it.

A treadmill has built in bounce and cushion and you can do more without the shin and ankle pain. The key is to built up gradually, and keep the top speed down in the beginning.

I use an IFIT compatible Proform treadmill which hooks into a computer via it's sound card, and you can design custom programs that change speed and incline as well as have as many custom segments of whatever duration you want. That makes it easy to monitor your progress as you gradually tweak the custom program to be more physcially demanding.

It's very motivating.

Here's a screenshot of a custom treadmill program, this one's really easy. The one I designed for myself and continue to "tweak" is 45 minutes in duration and has 4 peaks and valleys which range from 3.5 to 6.5 speed.

i2workout.jpg

Thanks Dale, being comfortable in the water I know for myself is a big thing. I snorkeled a lot as a kid and surfed for about 8 years when i lived back in the west on the coast but there was always an underlying confidence issue. Yes i can swim, recognize hazards and love the water but when I was paddling out into larger surf, getting a bit hammered and then soon after tired it can be a scary situation.

It is exactly situations like these...
quote: or that they may not be able to make the surface swim to return from a dive. Looking at diving accidents for recreational divers one will see that the predominant underlying causes tend to be panic and health issues brought on by stress and/or over exertion
...that make me want to improve. I know planing and executing a dive safely should greatly reduce the risk of encountering such situations but I also know the ocean and life well enough to know its not always predictable and doesn't always go as planned.

Really appreciate everyone's comments on this.

looks awesome steve, I know I am a bit nerdy with gadgets and toys, (another reason I like scuba) I put the dive log program on my iphone a few weeks back and I love it... I have logged many fictitious dive on that exploring all the things it can do...

I doubt it.

I suppose I should have said "beyond a pathetically limited range". My contention is that, if one is going to go out and jump in the ocean, one ought to want to learn how to stay afloat in it (without relying on a piece of equipment to do so).

Thanks Dale, being comfortable in the water I know for myself is a big thing. I snorkeled a lot as a kid and surfed for about 8 years when i lived back in the west on the coast but there was always an underlying confidence issue. Yes i can swim, recognize hazards and love the water but when I was paddling out into larger surf, getting a bit hammered and then soon after tired it can be a scary situation.

It is exactly situations like these...
quote: or that they may not be able to make the surface swim to return from a dive. Looking at diving accidents for recreational divers one will see that the predominant underlying causes tend to be panic and health issues brought on by stress and/or over exertion
...that make me want to improve. I know planing and executing a dive safely should greatly reduce the risk of encountering such situations but I also know the ocean and life well enough to know its not always predictable and doesn't always go as planned.

Really appreciate everyone's comments on this.

That's why I want to improve too. I remember doing a surface swim and being somewhat winded and thinking, if I was going to continue this sort of thing I'd better get in more decent shape. I swim laps/do fin kicks with smaller fins. Forwards and backwards. That improves the leg muscles in general for diving and if you keep your knees as straight as you can it also works the core group of muscles specifically.

I run a treadmill too but also switch it up with stationary biking (called spinning by some). That is a good way to do cardio without the knee stress.

Maximal heart rate is often used as a guide to exercise intensities such as swimming or running. It is recommend that unconditioned people train at a heart rate of between 50-70 per cent maximal heart rate. Thus a forty-year-old person with a maximal heart rate of 180 would maintain a training heart rate of between 108 and 126 beats per minute. The generally recommended training heart rate for a moderately fit person is between 70 and 80 per cent HRmax, and that for a highly-conditioned, competitive athlete is more than 80 per cent HRmax.

So lets assume your wife is 20 years old and hot. 220-20=200. 200bpm @80%(since she is in excellent shape) =160bpm.
So your wife should be targeting for a 160bpm taget heart rate to maximize her cardio conditioning and her fantastic looks.

Now lets assume you are 40 years old and a little overweight. 220-40=180bpm. 180bpm@ 60% (since your out of shape some what) = 108bpm.
So your target heart rate is 108bpm.

If these were your ages, you are actually getting more out of your routine excesise than your wife is. In fact your over training while your wife is severly under training.

Quite a few well conditioned athletes have a sitting heart rate of around 50 bpm. This is maintained by training almost everyday.

LOL...I'm telling my wife you said she was 20 and hot...it will make her day!!!

Interestingly, before I was really into weight-lifting, I was in great cardio shape. I used to run a lot and could run for miles w/o getting winded. It is only since heavy weight lifting that my cardio capacity is shot. I'm working on it...still hate it...but working on it.

John

I wouldn't worry too much- on my first shore dive there was a guy suited up who was obese and smoking a cigarette. It's never a bad idea to be in shape though- and I've had a good scuba workout before- if you want to swim after a turtle or something against a current- it helps to be fit.

+1 for swimming. I'm fortunate to live in a town with many public pools, so I've been hitting the lap swim 3 or 4 nights a week for the last month or so. I quit smoking a few months ago, and needed something to start rebuilding my lungs. I've already noticed a dramatic improvement not in weight so much, but in the way my clothes fit, and in my cardio stamina. And it's improved my air consumption.

Shoot, even a brisk walk for an hour or so a few times a week will help. I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start riding my bike again!

Congrats on quitting smoking! I'm at over 10 years now.

I also agree with everyone that said swimming is a good way to get in dive shape. I joined a Master's Swimming program and it's helped my diving a lot. Not sure if you're close to a pool but I would definitely recommend it if you have an opportunity to do so.

'binge' now that sounds familiar, one month I am on the band wagon trying to get fit and the next I am finding it all a bit boring and feel as though I am not getting anywhere.

Jogging is something that I find impacts really hard on my cardio, as I stated earlier I could sit on a bike until the cows come home but ask me to jog down the drive way and I sound like darth vader on steriods. I started jogging about 6 months back but it only took two weeks and then my shins felt like someone was smashing them with a bat every time I walked for the following few months. I would be stoked to be able to do 45 mins on a treadmill without flying off the back and landing in a heap. I guess I'll just have to take my cup of cement and HTFU as my next spending spree probably wont be on an elliptical trainer (damn they're expensive) it will most likely be on scuba gear... I was thinking isotherm, seaquest balance, suunto d6, apeks xtx200, xtx40 occy and a few other bits an pieces, seems to be what most people are running down here and I have heard good things about this equipment.

If you are not getting anything out of your bike, you are not riding correctly. I hear this alot from runners that are running in the 5k -10k range. But ask most half- full marathon runners and they use a combination of core strength training, bicylcing, running and sometimes swimming. Get on a bike and maintain 20mph or 25 mph for 1 or two hours and see if you are not getting anything out of it then. Or if you cant do that, do wind spints on the bike or if you live in a hilly area, "attack the hills" and set a goal of maintaining your "peak" speed going up the hills and use going down the hill as your resting periods.
Running only in itself is really not that good for you. A treadmill is a great way to maintain your running cardio. As Steve said, it has tracking programs, work out programs and it is easier on your knees, ankles and hips. However, if you purchase a treadmill, purchase a "running" treadmill. Most treadmills at Walmarts are designed for walking. Purchase a Noridic trac or Pro form. They will last a lot longer and are designed for running on. Running only for a cardio work out and after a while, you'll peak out (getting bored and seeing no noticable gains) and one usally quit from being frustated. Bikes and swimming are great cardio work outs and are eaiser on your body, particularly when one is just starting out on cardio work out. Plan your work outs on a training schdule and WRITE it down for tracking purposes. Adjust according to your gains and you will see the gains without loosing interest. Run in a couple of 5k or 10ks for motivation purposes, perhaps a couple of CAT 5 races on your bike or even a mini-triatholon after you trained for 6 months. These are all great motivators. Purchase a couple of magizines on fitness and they'll have great recipes on foods, training work outs, clubs and how to track your progress. After a while, it becomes additive at times.

I wouldn't worry too much- on my first shore dive there was a guy suited up who was obese and smoking a cigarette. It's never a bad idea to be in shape though- and I've had a good scuba workout before- if you want to swim after a turtle or something against a current- it helps to be fit.

1- Just because there's an obese guy who smokes going scuba diving doesn't mean we can disregard the benefits of being in shape. I certainly don't want to be wondering whether it's him or me who is going to have the heart attack first.

2- No swimming after turtles. We don't want to harass the aquatic life.

3- Wanting to swim against a current isn't such a smart idea either. It might "sound fun" but you will tire very easily doing that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom