FL Keys resorts with on site dive ops??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devinesigns

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list?

Looking to plan a trip for next year. My husband and I are experienced divers but we don't like to rough it. We'd like to stay somewhere where we can wake up, walk down to the dive dock, go out on boat dives, then store our gear at the dock afterwards without having to drag wet stuff back to the room. Open to hotels or condos, but would prefer somewhere a little more luxurious v basic.

Open to anywhere in the Keys with an abundance of marine life- we prefer diving in protected marine parks for this reason. We liked Key Largo and would be willing to go back, but the lack of depth variations got a little monotonous so we'd be curious to go elsewhere too. Also willing to go elsewhere in the Caribbean that's an easy trip from southeast FL, but with our babysitters being in southeast FL, the Keys are probably more realistic.

Also willing to go elsewhere in the Caribbean that's an easy trip from southeast FL
One non-Keys option could be Grand Cayman. From MIA you'll spend more time in the airport than you will on the flight. I just checked a week next March and it was $208 r/t non-stop.

Excellent wall diving, a couple of the nicer resorts have on-site dive operation offices but except for the couple of average AI dive resorts most won't have a "dock" on- site. Instead what they all do is provide van shuttle service at most of the resorts/condo complexes along Seven Mile Beach - diving is too far out from there. Many operators keep boats at one of several nearby marinas - typically behind SMB so just a few minutes shuttle. Off the North Sound they dive what is arguably some of the finest deep-wall diving in the Carib - most also dive the Kittiwake or Stingray City for something different.

Some of the north wall sites are extraordinary - I've seen Babylon on the top 20 dives in the world lists. And there's probably 2 dozen more like it. If you did want to "rough it" - there's about 4-5 decent shore dives - all have on-site operators and easy stairs/ladder access. At several the carry to the water is relatively short also. The best is Turtle Reef IMO - you park on the side of the Cracked Conch restaurant and walk 50' to the dive stairs - Sundivers is onsite under the restaurant for tanks. Nice easy shallow mini-wall dive - head south for the Tarpon cave around 40' deep.

The Westin or the Marriott Grand both have Red Sail Watersports on-site - if conditions are calm they'll beach a flat-top dive boat and pick you up - some of the best west side diving is close enough that you'll see dive boats on the horizon but too far to swim.

All things Cayman - www.caymanislands.ky. And there's only 365 dive sites there - dive365cayman.com lists many with videos etc. Or go to the video page here: Best Dive Sites Grand Cayman - iDive

Another nice thing is most shop advertise how few divers they need to make a trip - for some that's 4-6 - many have boats that are too big for their 6-8 max. limit. Lots of room to stretch out and gear up. Not cheap though - boat dives run around 2/$100-125.

Cayman is pricey and they get a lot of cruise traffic but it's only a day port so downtown is very pleasant after about 4pm. If you rent a car (I would) the cruisers don't expect you to be driving on the left so look the wrong way b4 stepping off the curb. We almost got two.:D

Last edited:
There aren't a lot of 'dive resorts' in the Keys that I know of (I've made 25+ Keys trips). Closest I can think of is the Marriott on Key Largo which has an on site dive shop called Emocean or something like that (it's owned by Divers Direct). Amy Slate is a cottage style resort with dive boats and a shop too.

There are deeper reefs in the upper Keys but you'll probably need to make a specific request. My favorite is Conch Wall which goes to about 100 feet in the sand

Not sure about "resort" but there are several dive ops on the canal at MM100. Sea Dwellers, Rainbow, HMS Minnow (6-pack) are all a few steps away from the Holiday Inn

There is more variation then you think in the Key Largo area. You get your middle depths 45-80 by diving the outer reefs. These are often done as drift dives. These are usually done by request for the smaller boats although I did a couple with Ocean Divers on their big boats once when there was just two of us and the Captain asked what we wanted to do.

Key West Inn in Key Largo has condo type accommodations. They are somewhat dated but my understanding is they have just been sold will be remodeling the units during the off-season. Great location and upstairs/downstairs units (nobody above or below you) with full kitchen and a balcony. Rainbow Reef Dive Center is located just next door; book thru them for the best lodging rate.

I would suggest staying at the Key Largo Marriott and diving with Quiescence next door. They may allow you to leave your gear there. You will be able to choose your dive sites this way.

I would suggest staying at the Key Largo Marriott and diving with Quiescence next door. You will be able to choose your dive sites this way.
Probably a better idea than mine, Maybe book 1 dive and the Marriott thru RR for a better lodging rate - might pay for itself even if you abandon the dive.

I would hardly call Amy Slate luxurious. It's "basic +1". Marriott down the road is a much better bet for more upscale. Diving in the Keys is generally a "poor man's Caribbean". If you set your sights low, it's not so bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom