Flash Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap

Contributor
Reaction score
I have the digital pro flash and the thing has proved to be very unreliable. Any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong?

Not much info to go on, but I will give it a shot.

Make sure your camera is on the proper setting. I dive the DC500 and used to have it on the fish setting, then I read that it is supposed to be on external flash. Some models will not fire the flash in macro mode (mine being one), so make sure your setting in the camera are correct.

Make sure the delay switch in your flash is set properly, see the manual for this.

Make sure the sync cable is firmly attached and that it is as clean as can be.Both ends. Make sure it is not kinked at all.

Make sure it has time to charge fully before firing again.

That is about all I can think of...good luck

Thanks. I've tried everything and it still gives me fits. I haven't checked to see if it is set to macro. That's a good tip.

Set to external flash... be sure it is correctly set on your camera... if you want to shoot macro... be sure you are using the "flower" setting...

Rinse it in fresh water, or at least tap water...

I have the digital pro flash and the thing has proved to be very unreliable. Any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong?

The Tips and Technical Updates on our website will address this issue in detail for each camera model. Here is the link for the Digital Pro Flash:
Sevice Center

If this doesn't help, and you have a question that is not listed, feel free to send me your question, or to call our service department.

Denise

If you could give a little bit more info, we would probably be able to solve your problem.

I don't know what more info I can provide. The magnetic switch is clean. The camera is set to external flash. The cord is attached and the camera rarely sets off the strobe. The green light is on and fresh lithium batteries in. The latest firm ware has been installed. Is the fiberoptic link just unreliable?

How long have you had the setp?
Has it always had trouble, or just recently?
Could the Optilink cable have been damaged (kinked, shut in a zipper, etc)?

My cable works almost all the time, and when I first got it, it worked every time.

If the setup new you may either have a bum cable, or maybe you didn't line the cable up correctly.

If the setup is older you may have some salt in the cable impeding light transmission.

Perhaps Denise can explain a way to test the flash itself? Would shining a light on the optical receptor fire the flash?

Maybe you need to play with the preflash settings, Sealife cameras are supposed to be set to 0, but I would try the other settings to see if that may clear it up.

Hi USPAP,

Denise from the SeaLife factory in diving in St Lucia this week (lucky her), so I will try to help out in her absence.

I read through all the posts and would like to know exactly what SL camera model you have - DC500, DC600, ReefMaster Mini?

Also please confirm you have the SL961 Digital Pro Flash, which looks like this: SeaLife SL961 Digital Pro Flash

Or do you have the SL960D Digital Flash - SeaLife Digital Flash SL960D

Also, have you read through the technical tips on our website?

For DC500 - Sevice Center
For DC600 - Sevice Center

Has that helped?

Bjorn

One more thing:

I just came across your reply to a thread about flash bouyancy. I see you have a DC500 and you replaced your flash arm and base with a custom modified ultra-light arm/base. Please post a picture of our set-up showing how you connect the flash head to the arm. I havee a feeling that is the source of the flash firing issue.

Back
Top Bottom