Flashing tank light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI you can buy this set up for $5.95 from scuba toys and it wont blow up under pressure,

That is not nearly as fun though. :wink: And as burna pointed out, shipping is quite high. Only worth purchasing from Leisurepro here in Oz if you want to get a bunch of things.

Burna, looking forward to seeing your results! :) If it works I want to make one too, as my Leisurepro-bought one blew up last time I dived Mordialloc.

Damselfish:
Maybe consider making a non-flashing one? A flashing light won't bother you because it's behind you, but it's really annoying for other people to have to see the whole dive.

Depends who you dive with... A small flashing light I do not see as a big problem as it really isn't noticeable underwater unless you are trying to find a buddy, then they come in handy. If it was bright enough that you could see it in peripheral vision, yes it might be annoying.

Another issue is if you seal the end with silicone you'll need to reseal it every time you change the batteries.

Yeah, initially I wasn't concerned about that. I figured that the batteries would prob'ly last a long time given it is only driving 1 led. I'm not so sure now, 'cause the led has a voltage range 3-15v. The 2x AAAs are only putting out 3.17v, so they might not last as long as I thought.

Maybe consider making a non-flashing one? A flashing light won't bother you because it's behind you, but it's really annoying for other people to have to see the whole dive.

It would be easy enough to make the device switch-selectable from flashing to non-flashing. It would also be cheap and easy to use a microcontroller like the AVR ATtiny to make it flash in different patterns or to sequence colors. Of course, this wouldn't be quite as cheap or easy as the OP's plan. For a device that cheap, it's simple enough to make a second one that does not flash.

The non-flashing option is a good idea. At least around here, most people use solid lights on tanks and flashing lights on anchor lines.

you local Dr. office has some blood tubes that are air and water tight (made from strong plastic) that have a rubber stopper you can take out and in. and they surely have some expired tubes they woudl be happy if you took them away from them. just an idea

Back
Top Bottom