Flesh wounds from fin straps above heel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You had the strap in the right place. I wear a nylon skin under my full wetsuit. It makes putting the suit on easy, and it protects my Achilles against the rough stitching in the back of some boots. The stitching was very abrasive and tearing my Achilles up.

Your fin straps should be snug but not tight, but they would still rub the skin if on exposed skin. I always wear a normal tall boot (not a cold water full boot with shoe-like sole but just a normal height boot). The boot also has a ridge to keep the strap from slipping down.

My booties used to give me blisters after days of diving and on a trip years ago a recommendation from a professional dive photographer changed my life. :wink: Lycra socks.

That said, I'd never wear an ankle boot, only a boot up over the ankle. Also, my booties do have harder sole which I prefer for grip and comfort when not in the water.

Blister free since 2001!

I'm with the others that hope you have seen a doctor and done whatever necessary to improve recovery. Can't be emphasized enough!

I've seen lots of divers with duct tape on their feet. It works though frankly lycra socks would be much easier.

You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Well, I can't argue with that logic.

I went to a doc, had to rather because my lymph nodes in the throat/neck swelled up and I had difficulty swallowing with a bit of mild temperature overnight - another diving related issue as I almost never ever fall sick to the point I need a doc (has been so for almost a decade now). A nurse cleaned the wounds and the doctor advised me a tetanus injection - took that along with the antibiotic and analgesic recommended for the throat. Feeling more relaxed about it now that I did. I didnt like the yellow greenish tinge it took on after my last shower. Now its drying up as I've left it without a band-aid.

Thanks guys for all your advice. I will look for lycra socks or just wear nylon the next trip.

--Pearlman

Glad it's improving and also that you let us know about.

Lycra socks can be bought online, if unable to find them at a dive shop or sporting goods/wear shop. I pack two pairs with me cuz you know how socks can be. ;D

I went to a doc, had to rather because my lymph nodes in the throat/neck swelled up and I had difficulty swallowing with a bit of mild temperature overnight - another diving related issue as I almost never ever fall sick to the point I need a doc (has been so for almost a decade now). A nurse cleaned the wounds and the doctor advised me a tetanus injection - took that along with the antibiotic and analgesic recommended for the throat. Feeling more relaxed about it now that I did. I didnt like the yellow greenish tinge it took on after my last shower. Now its drying up as I've left it without a band-aid.

Thanks guys for all your advice. I will look for lycra socks or just wear nylon the next trip.

--Pearlman

Keep a close eye on it, things can go south pretty quickly if not caught in time. Hope you recover quickly.

Since this happened on a vacation, I will assume that you were doing a lot of diving over several days. If this is the case, you may not correct the issue just with taller boots or socks.

When I would dive for a week steady after a long dry spell, my toes, heels, and back of knees would get rubbed raw. I would end up with duct tape on all over to protect myself and keep diving.

Side Note: When using duct tape on your skin remember a couple of things

1 - If the area has any hair on it, it won't when you pull off the tape. Maybe shave the area first?
2 - The adhesive used on it will cause a painful rash if left on for a few days at a time. I suggest removing the tape every day.
3 - I thought about the hair removal too late and decided to leave the tape for 4 days and only suffer the painful removal one time. I had no idea the adhesive would cause worse prolonged pain.

Dsix don't know about the backs of your knees but Lycra socks are going to help your toes etc.

Lycra socks can really save your feet when diving multiple dives a day for multiple days. I myself have done the duck tape thing but now have lycra socks, much better. And I wear them under my regular socks when competing in obstacle course races or "mud runs" saves me the blisters caused by running shoes worn through muddy water.

I basically live in scuba tube socks now, I used to rotate booties every couple days diving, but still would get sore rub areas. No more issues as long as I am wearing socks.
BTW yes they are colorful and fun looking, but also indestructible. https://www.scubadorag.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_12
AND they make it easy to slide my feet through my wetsuit.

Happy Diving!
Elena

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom