Flights to Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Utila and seems like the main departure points are San Pedro Sula or Roatan. Of the two resorts we are considering, one recommends San Pedro Sula and the other recommends Roatan. Our flights from home are about the same price to RTB or SAP.

I am wondering if anyone here has experience with either flight. Please share your experience and or recommendation.

Thanks

I avoided San Pedro Sula twice based on what I read here and elsewhere. Esp. if you have to overnite there.

Alice at Worldwide Travel is your go to for either option. https://www.facebook.com/wwtutila

The ferries are also possible if you can arrive on RTB by noon or before. Most of the planes seem to arrive at the same time (around noon) so there can be a line at the Roatan airport. The Galaxy ferry is in Dixon Cove about 10-15mins. from the airport on the south side - it leaves at 2PM sharp. Counter-intuitively you go back to the mainland 1st (La Ceiba) then ferry over to Utila from an adjoining dock on the Utila Princess. If you arrive in SAP early afternoon it's practically impossible to get to the Utila ferry in time (4PM departure) unless you hire a private car. We were on Utila a few minutes after 5PM. $100 r/t for both.

Deep Blue has all the details here: Deep Blue Utila - Ferry If you happen to be considering staying there Shirley should be able to help with flight arrangements also - she did for other guests while we were there.

Last edited:
All things being equal roatan over sap. Several charters departing from roatan depending on your day of arrival. We use island air and have been very pleased on every trip. Lagonia@aol.com is a good contact email for them.

I'm afraid my only travel to//from Utila has been by ferry from the mainland. (See diversteve's post above.) Overnighting in San Pedro Sula is fine if you don't wander out of your hotel.

the domestic flight situation drove he decision...SAP will be connection. we had people from different states trying to group up and then we realized we could use our FF miles for a near freebie. Looking forward to the adventure!
Thanks for the input.

Sounds like you got good information. I won't ask "why Utila?"... :)

We have been to Roatan and loved it! We stayed an Anthony's and it was perfect. Utila go the vote for this one, but we are already planning the Roatan 2.0 trip. One of our diving buddies will be 50 next year - it will be on Roatan! Not sure where we will be staying on that one jsut yet.

I was in Utila this April and had a blast! It was an awesome trip and you can read more about the trip report here.

Flying from Roatan to Utila was the most memorable airpane experience I have ever had. I used these guys:

Brandi Vines
ISLAND AIR
1138 N. Germantown Pkwy
Suite 101, Box 242
Cordova, Tn. 38016
info@guanajaair.com
901-490-2624

The Captain is a former jet pilot who has some of the best stories I ever heard while flying. The plane landing was awesome and it was so much fun to land in the middle of banana trees. Here are some pictures of the flight which was as entertaining as the dive trip itself. I believe that if you travel with the above mentioned folks people should go to Utila just for the flight itself.

flight 1.jpgFlight 2.jpgFlight 3.jpgFlight 4.jpgFlight  5.jpg

the domestic flight situation drove he decision...SAP will be connection. we had people from different states trying to group up and then we realized we could use our FF miles for a near freebie. Looking forward to the adventure!
Thanks for the input.
There's no airport lights on Utila so hopefully everyone can arrive early enough. Not much of an airport really. http://www.reefdup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMG_0031.jpg

With a group I'd book Sosa thru Worldwide Travel. As much fun as IslandAir might be, they don't have the capacity to get you all there at the same time - maybe not even the same day. Although Sosa can't fly their small jet there either they do have a small propjet that probably takes about 8-10 - or more. (guess) Aerolinea Sosa

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
I avoided San Pedro Sula twice based on what I read here and elsewhere. Esp. if you have to overnite there.

Alice at Morgan's Travel is your go to for either option. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Utila-Morgans-Travel/672137666183420

The ferries are also possible if you can arrive on RTB by noon or before. Most of the planes seem to arrive at the same time (around noon) so there can be a line at the Roatan airport. The Galaxy ferry is in Dixon Cove about 10-15mins. from the airport on the south side - it leaves at 2PM sharp. Counter-intuitively you go back to the mainland 1st (La Ceiba) then ferry over to Utila from an adjoining dock on the Utila Princess. If you arrive in SAP early afternoon it's practically impossible to get to the Utila ferry in time (4PM departure) unless you hire a private car. We were on Utila a few minutes after 5PM. $100 r/t for both.

Deep Blue has all the details here: Deep Blue Utila - Ferry If you happen to be considering staying there Shirley should be able to help with flight arrangements also - she did for other guests while we were there.

Alice, the owner of World Wide Travel does not work for Morgan's Travel. Two totally different companies. Of the two I'd recommend World Wide Travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom