Flippers

Fins or Flippers

• Flipper is a dolphin, divers use fins

Votes: 64 62.1%
  • Fins, flippers, whatever... let's go swimming.

Votes: 39 37.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mincho:
I call them flippers, and I call my mask goggles, just to screw with the DM's.
Do you call your reg a bubbler, your snorkel a surface survival tool, your HUB a BC, and of course your wetsuit a portable toilet? :wink:

I call them fins, but i really couldnt care less.

At least in English flippers & fins don't sound so stupid but here in Brazil, in Portuguese, the elegant/diving term would be "nadadeira" which translates to either fin or flipper. The inelegant/non-diving term would be "pé de pato" or duck-feet.
So walking into your LDS and asking for a pair of duck-feet is not really the thing to do. :D

For me I am not that specific. As long as the poor unfortunate soul who has to listen to me understands, then that is all that is required. On the other hand.. I have been known to have a brain fart and say.. "Pass me those yellow things that go on the end of the feet"

which brings me to another question.. Whats wrong with Hockey balls?

Personally, I like to say flippers because I just think it sounds fun! But, I have been corrected many times! Whatever floats your boat!

As one of my old innstructers used to say:

- Flippers? You buy those for 2.99 at the local dive shop
-Fins? You buy those at a dive shop!!!

I heard a guy in a pink skin call em flippers once. Once.

Who really cares, we are all out to have fun and dive. You want to call the flippers, call them flippers.

I prefer the term fins, makes me sound like a professional!!! (Joking)

I must admit I only use the term flippers when I know it winds up a kid on the boat that has just made divemaster!!

Windwalker:
which brings me to another question.. Whats wrong with Hockey balls?

They are usually attatched to a Hockey player. :11:

While doing my OW course, I couldn't stop calling them 'flins'! :bonk: I was so conscious about remember to call them fins that flins kept slipping out. Fortunately now, I can get my tongue around fins :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom