Floating compressor-type setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CHSpaintballer2

Registered
Reaction score
I saw a couple using a device at the Rainbow River one time but I'm not sure of the company that makes it, what it's called, or the model name or anything, but I was hoping you could help me with it... It's an innertube, basically, that holds a small air compressor with hoses and regs attached to it. You can leave it floating on the surface and dive down up to 60-80 feet I believe, depending on what length hose you have. Since I doubt I'll be able to get permission from my doctor to become a certified diver because of my asthma, my Mom and I were thinking of one of these, if only I could remember what it's called!:( If anyone knows, please tell me so I can find out how much they cost and where we could get one to use. The maximum I'd be going down would be 35 feet, and that would be extreme cases (I'd only be diving\snorkeling in the Rainbow, Crystal, and Silver Rivers because I don't really like open-water yet). The average would be about 12-25 feet.

Thanks,
Bobby

I'm not a pro or a doctor, but if you can't get permission to scuba you should ask about this first too, with this device you will still be breathing compressed gases, same as a scuba cylinder.

Well first off I am going to have to agree with Fixxervi6.

You have to understand that pretty much the same risks that are involved with Scuba are there with what you are referring to. I know there are a lot of different versions of it... but it is most commonly called SNUBA (SCUBA + Snorkeling). Check out www.snuba.com.

As you can see from the pictures this doesn't use a compressor. It uses a standard scuba tank floating above the divers with an air line running to the divers. The divers breath from a normal regulator found in scuba diving and are only allowed to go down about 20 feet.

But most of all it is still using a filtered, dry, compressed air.

If you do find one that uses a compressor it has the same risks as stated above. Sorry I couldn't help you any further.

I wish you lots of luck, and I hope you are able to dive someday.

-Matt

I also agree with getting the OK from the doc first, and don't be afraid to get a second or third opinion.
In addition to the occasional "Johnson AirBuoy" that shows up on ebay for a couple hundred bucks, you can also get some more modern units from other outfits like Brownies, the original parent company of Halcyon. See: http://browniedive.com/
The gizmos are called Hookahs. I use a boat mounted unit for almost all my diving.
Back in the 60s we used the Air Buoys for clam shell diving in the Mississippi River, you can run all day on just a couple dollars worth of gasoline.
If you dig around a bit you can find cheaper rigs than Brownies, they're pretty much the old standard that you can compare the others to.

Bob3:
I also agree with getting the OK from the doc first, and don't be afraid to get a second or third opinion.
In addition to the occasional "Johnson AirBuoy" that shows up on ebay for a couple hundred bucks, you can also get some more modern units from other outfits like Brownies, the original parent company of Halcyon. See: http://browniedive.com/
The gizmos are called Hookahs. I use a boat mounted unit for almost all my diving.
Back in the 60s we used the Air Buoys for clam shell diving in the Mississippi River, you can run all day on just a couple dollars worth of gasoline.
If you dig around a bit you can find cheaper rigs than Brownies, they're pretty much the old standard that you can compare the others to.

That's what I was looking at, the Brownie's thing. Found it after you said the name, it sounded familiar. I also remember looking at the SNUBA setups, and it looks very interesting. I'll check them out. I have mild asthma, I might have one asthma attack every 2 1\2 years and normally that's during October-November if I'm not taking my medicines like I'm supposed to. I can definitely do moderate exercise with no problems, but running a mile is a problem for me (I'm overweight as well as asthmatic but I don't seem to have had any problems with snorkeling\shallow free-diving since I started swimming). I'm trying to figure out a diet & exercise plan to get in better shape for several things (main one being the cruise I'm going on in June to the Bahamas).

Thanks,
Bobby

Well obviously if you aren't taking the meds then that is one issue and something you need to deal with.

But also keep in mind there are many other factors with asthma and diving. I know that if you do a search for asthma you will find tons of other threads that talk about staying warm in the water (cold induced asthma), taking meds, etc

Again, good luck and stay safe.

-Matt

P.S. I am in the same boat with you on the whole weight loss thing, frustrating... I know.

I don't think my asthma is cold-induced, I figured that when the term "cold" was used, it meant like "common cold sick" kind of cold. I love swimming in cooler waters because I get hot easily and it's just really comfortable after you get used to the temperature. I've been wondering about getting certified since I was 12 or 13, and after 2-3 years I hope to give it another try next time I go to the doctor.

I want to reiterate what others have said about seeing a dive doctor.

What you are considering (SNUBA, Hooka) has exactly the same effect on your body as SCUBA. If you can't SCUBA due to athsma, you can't SNUBA for the same reason. You body doesn't see any difference. So if you have a medical reason you can't dive, you can't get around it by using SNUBA versus SCUBA.

If you can get a doctors OK, then just go with SCUBA, in my opinion.

I'm not really sure WHY I couldn't get certified, the doctor never really answered me last time I asked him because I was 12 and he said "Let's wait a year or two and see first, okay?"

Well, it's been 3 years since then. Time to try again, I guess.

CHSpaintballer2:
I'm not really sure WHY I couldn't get certified, the doctor never really answered me last time I asked him because I was 12 and he said "Let's wait a year or two and see first, okay?"

Well, it's been 3 years since then. Time to try again, I guess.

Yes, try again, and if you pass go take scuba classes. Stay away from that compressor ring. It's much more risky than scuba diving will ever be. And besides, you would still need a scuba license to use one, if you didn't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom