Flooded City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the KPP? Im assuming it is a dive club. Where do most of your dives take place? I would love to go to dale hollow again. They say where the school used to be, there is a staircase leading down very deep, in which the remains of a dead student was buried. Probably a ghost story, but next time i would like to try and descend down the staircase if possible, with my HID light of course :D

KPP=Kentucky Piranha Patrol.

It is the Neptune Divers International (NDI) group from the board in Kentucky (with several OH visitors recently) that gets together to dive. So far we have been at Joe's Falling Rock Quarry in LaGrange Ky near Louisville but we are always up to other places. Keep an eye on the Kentucky section of the board for get together or if you have something in mind post it there and see who wants to go with you.

I think that we could do Dale Hollow sometime.

Chad

Well that sounds like it might be a lot of fun. All I would have to know is where in the worl it is, is there camping, and so long as there are no cup-cakes involved, I'd have to try my darndest to make it. This sounds like it could be something we would set-up through the KPP. A reason to dive, drink, and dive again.

Anyway...So ah...when we doin this gilboa deal...I finally got the stink out of my wetsuit from this past weekend, and am itchin to get that good ol quarry stink back in it.

Dale Hollow is in southern KY on the TN Border, actually part of it may be in TN but I would have to look at a map to know for sure. There is a State park there so I am sure there is camping.

You guys tell me in the KPP section when you want to go to Gilboa and I will do my best to be there.

Chad

dcostanza:
Good morning,
My brother was telling me about a city that flooded in the Tenn./Ky area on a way to a dive earlier this week. He thought it was called Dales Hollow (Hallow?);however, I find no reference of it's existence. I spent some time with various spellings on Dogpile.com then realized that with the wealth of knowledge of the board members maybe somene here would know. I did a search on this board and there was one reference to a flooded city in Kentucky caused by a dam and that was the extent of the post.

Does anyone know where I might be able to turn for further reference material on this "mythical?" city?

Thank you for your time...

Best Regards
Don Costanza

Hello Don,
My name is Sally and I have a sister that has a boat on dale hollow, and they told me about this city too. Well I looked it up and found this: I went to ask jeeves, and ask the question, ( is there a underwater city in dale hollow), then I scrolled down to ( The World of Dale Hollow). I read that when the lake was formed during the 1940's, rising water submerged a number of hollows and small valley communities. As many of the buildings weren't moved, they now lie under the waters of the lake. They say it makes an interesting diving destination. But be cautioned that because of the deep, cold and dangerous enviroment, only experienced divers make an effort to see these underwater monuments to past history. If you come down on this page it talks about Pickett County and the valley during the late 1700's. It's possible their may be something there. Or I would go to that town and ask. I hope this was some help to you. Have a safe dive. Sally Roberts

If you guys are thinking about penetrating ANY of the structures in a flooded town, read the book by Daniel Lenihan titled Submerged. He was/is a NPS diver, and at one point had to recover a body of a diver who had penetrated a submerged dam building (flooded when a new, bigger dam was built). Long story short, bad deal, very scary. However according to him the major factor that made it horrible was the limited viz so if you have a flooded town with fairly good viz, YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom