GUE CCR, It's OFFICIAL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised about the choice of an eCCR also.
I'm curious to read more.
I'll stick with my mCCR, but it'll be interesting to read the why's behind the decision.
It likely had some to do with the modifying aspect. Just a guess on my part.

Does it have a BOV?

A BOV is strongly recommended but isn't part of the initial package due to delays that could possibly cause a class cancellation. The use of one was demonstrated many times throughout the course and I personally have an order in to replace the stock DSV.

The GUE site only mentions "GUE approved rebreather". I would be curios about their specifications on modified tank and modified regulators. I'm assuming they want the tank valves oriented up.

I think Brian hit it on the head above in asking about the protocols. Everyone usually looks at the equipment first and ignores the training aspects. I still hear people thinking they can't take a Fundamentals course because they don't own Halcyon gear. While it seems funny, I'm sure a lot of people have been discouraged from getting some really useful training based on equipment alone.

I understand. However, I was just curious since I have been following different threads about GUE selecting a rebreather.
So with this in mind, I am curious about the equipment first.

I noticed recent changes to this page:
Rebreather Diver | Global Underwater Explorers

Their course outcomes section states "GUE’s Rebreather Diver course is designed to educate individuals in basic rebreather technologies and to cultivate diver proficiency in the use of GUE approved rebreather configurations."

This indicates more than one configuration. I realize now, based on your post that the units are the RB80 and the JJ. Can either of these units be configured more than one way? and be GUE approved?

In the Equipment Requirements section they list:

1. Modified tank configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather
  2. Modified regulator configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather

Looking at equipment first.....I am curious about the modified tank configuration and modified regulator configuration that are listed on the GUE site.

It has been interesting to follow, so I was certainly curious about these points.

Congratulation on completing your course Chicago. Very cool!

Cheers,
Mitch

it's a delicate question but if you'd answer it i'd appreciate it :)

how much does a JJ cost? just curious

also which BOV did you go with? i'm toying with the idea of a shrimp for my rb80

---------- Post added January 5th, 2015 at 10:17 AM ----------

I understand. However, I was just curious since I have been following different threads about GUE selecting a rebreather.
So with this in mind, I am curious about the equipment first.

I noticed recent changes to this page:
Rebreather Diver | Global Underwater Explorers

Their course outcomes section states "GUE’s Rebreather Diver course is designed to educate individuals in basic rebreather technologies and to cultivate diver proficiency in the use of GUE approved rebreather configurations."

This indicates more than one configuration. I realize now, based on your post that the units are the RB80 and the JJ. Can either of these units be configured more than one way? and be GUE approved?

In the Equipment Requirements section they list:

1. Modified tank configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather
  2. Modified regulator configuration as appropriate for GUE approved Rebreather

Looking at equipment first.....I am curious about the modified tank configuration and modified regulator configuration that are listed on the GUE site.

It has been interesting to follow, so I was certainly curious about these points.

Congratulation on completing your course Chicago. Very cool!

Cheers,
Mitch

once you buy the unit and take the class you can do anything you want with it. no one will stop you from sidemounting an RB80. jarrod and casey have rigged them as a stage.
there aren't any gue police coming to take your cards and rebreathers away

with regards to tanks and regulators, with rb80, what you need is a regulator with a switchblock and one that feeds the BOV. and tanks in a frame appropriate for the rebreather. it's really just adding hoses to your existing regs

Plus you can fiddle with the rb80 config a bit. Ekpp runs the BOV off the left post, there are different switchblock configurations (even a config with no switchblock), and I'm sure there are other variants out there.

I'm sure a similar situation exists with the Jj.

it's a delicate question but if you'd answer it i'd appreciate it :)

how much does a JJ cost? just curious

also which BOV did you go with? i'm toying with the idea of a shrimp for my rb80

The unit was a bit over $8,500 without 3L/LP50's tanks and Lola valves. As for the shrimp, I opted for a Halcyon version which is on order. EE should be able to get you on the list for the next shipment :)

It has an "H" engraved in it and cost about $100.00 more :wink:

---------- Post added January 5th, 2015 at 09:07 PM ----------

It has an "H" engraved in it and cost about $100.00 more :wink:

All kidding aside, I know Halcyon will stand behind their product, and hopfully it's not $100.00 more.

In rebreather cost terms, thats not too bad.. Comes with the petrel Electronic package as well i assume.
T2 is still the entry point i see.. makes sense given the nature of the RB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom