Flooded my 2nd camera. It sucks. What's going on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Whenever I hear of someone having a flood, I suggest sending the housing back for testing/service. There are gremlins in control o-rings that can be intermittent.

As far as housing maintenance, you might want to check out this article on my blog.

The new Olympus "Tough" stylus cameras are about to hit the market in March. The older 1030SW is at about end of life, very hard to find. The cool thing is that unless a flood was pretty catastrophic, the Toughs are waterproof and the camera shouldn't be in danger. The new housings for them have been redesigned; Olympus has learned from the older ones. They will have cam locks and other nice features first seen on the PT-EO5 DSLR housings.

Jack

I see. So we would use the tough ones inside a housing for double protection?

When you say to send it back to for service. You mean sending to Olympus directly?

Thanks

I remove the o-ring after each use and wash it. Before use, I clean the housing with a q-tip, and then apply fresh silicon to the o-ring. Ensure there are no fibers or hair on it, before installing it in the housing. I also have flood insurance :)

I use the foam eye shadow applicators. It doesn't make sense to use a hairy q-tip...Relinqush your man card and go the make-up department of your local Wall-e-world and buy a bag full....

Yes, back to Oly. Also if it was under warranty, they might help you out a bit with a camera sometimes. That's where having a good dealer helps ;-).

Cheddarchick, I agree makeup applicators are great. I also just take a QTip and wrap a piece of lens cleaning tissue around it.

Jack

I a have always used Q-tips with my Subal housing. This might not be "technical", but I just lightly moisten the end of the Q-tip by putting in my mouth. This mats the fibers down and seems to help make sure it picks up any dust or small hairs.

I use the foam eye shadow applicators. It doesn't make sense to use a hairy q-tip...Relinqush your man card and go the make-up department of your local Wall-e-world and buy a bag full....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom