Flooded.........ouch!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My daughter in Maylasia dropped me a line and told me that my brand new Canon PowerShot SD630 she borrowed has been flooded. I knew the risk that I was taking when I let her borrow it, so I am not whining about that. I just couldn't imagine her going to SE Asia diving for a month without a camera.

I am really getting comfortable with my Fuji F10, and not anxious to lose it, so I decided to pickup the Canon to try something new and to have a camera my poor student children could borrow or use as we travel together (seven of us about once a year) or when they venture out on their own.

Apparently, she noticed that water was getting to the housing on decent and returned to the boat. She is reporting to me that the camera appears to be dead.

She will be back in the US on Aug. 2nd. Beyond throwing it into the trash can, any thoughts. Would Canon feel sorry for me and give me a great price on repair or replacement? (dreaming?)

Dave

:pity_part

So sorry to hear Sterline :(.
From what i've heard and read I don't think Canon offers replacement of cameras under warranty.

'Water damage' isn't covered and once salt water gets into cameras they usually are toast..
You could test the housing though and see if it's still good.

Bummer... I have the SD600 in cannon's u/w case... yet to get wet. Makes me nervous hearing this.

Doesn't someone like DAN offer insurance on gear? I thought they had a program that even covered cameras for cases just like this.

webhead:
Bummer... I have the SD600 in cannon's u/w case... yet to get wet. Makes me nervous hearing this.

Doesn't someone like DAN offer insurance on gear? I thought they had a program that even covered cameras for cases just like this.

Not sure if the DAN covers flooding, but it is worth a look.

BTW, my u/w case is Canon. When it makes back here I will try to acess what caused the flood and let you know.

Dave

I would take the battery out right away and leave the hatch open.

I have heard people taking hair dryers on cool to them, with some luck

There is a company that offers flood insurance for camera's but not after it's happened...:( sorry. It's called DEPP, divers equipment protectoin program. here's their new web address, you can check out what they offer.

http://www.awryinc.com/

Sorry to say once moisture of the saltwater variety hits your digital camera it's gone. :shakehead

If you want a cheaper camera for passing around to your kids, and not sweat the loss as much because of flooding, check out the highly rated sealife dc500 or the sea and sea dx-750g. Great camera's but not as painful to lose, and hard to flood because of their simplicity. (Of course you can have flood insurance on them too).

Good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom