flooded recsea...help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this confirms the floods were down to user error. Although those white specs don't look good it seems like the camera is holding

Do you have flood insurance?

yes took housing down about 6 times with no camera inside, down to 20+ no leaks, then did approx 10 dives over the next 5 days with camera inside and again no leaks. but still worried about it

maybe it was, but i wish i knew so that i dont repeat it again, the o-ring looked fine no hairs or loads of grease [although OH is convinced it happened coz i DIDNT put enough grease on!!!!! fingers crossed it doesnt happen again, or not for a long long time. no flood insurance as that works out more than my camera cost :S

got take it in next wk end so see what happens

That is with dive master insurance
You only insurance the camera itself and if you really want the strobe as those are the things that can flood
Send me a pm or email i have a discount code too

I think CUW has a point in that there probably is no point in a chamber test since it has been under several times without incident.

I was curious about the white specks if they were a factor or not. They are remarkable in that it could be evidence of poor maintenance or neglect. Not necessarily by you but by different circumstances unique to that housing's experience - rinse tank, boatman etc. I saw a housing come up with a what looked like an oil slick on its dome once. The resort staff had rinsed it in the tank intended for wetsuits. Could have been insect repellent, sun block or other lotion. Anyway, point being that whatever it was/is that cause the specks were either a one time occurrence (hopefully it is in this case) or is/might actually be part of your routine.

can you post a photo of the inside of the door showing the inside of the lip that mates against the groove on the main body? Also a picture looking straight down into the groove would be very helpful.

If any further investigation fails to identify the cause of the white specks, at least you might monitor it and see if it gets worse.

I would not pursue any warranty claims. i think that would be a waste of time. rather spend the effort in finding out what if any adjustment you need to make to avoid or eliminate these things from happening in the future.

The good news actually is that you have dived it several times without incident. :D

some more photos, have also included ones of the door by the rim not very good as its difficult getting them, if any others would help just let me know

IMG_3507.jpgIMG_3508.jpgIMG_3509.jpgIMG_3512.jpgIMG_3513.jpgIMG_3516.jpgIMG_3517.jpgIMG_3518.jpgIMG_3519.jpgIMG_3520.jpg

Few questions
1. Do you use original canon batteries with your housing or compatible? If compatible which ones?
2. When you had your floods did you realize immediately you flooded and aborted the dive?
3. How did you hold the housing when you were surfacing?

Few questions
1. Do you use original canon batteries with your housing or compatible? If compatible which ones?
2. When you had your floods did you realize immediately you flooded and aborted the dive?
3. How did you hold the housing when you were surfacing?

i have one ansmanns battery, but on the first flood it had canon battery in, not sure about the second flood [although the battery/card compartment was completely dry on that flood, although there was loads of water in the housing on that flood

as soon as i realised the housing had flooded i gave it to my buddy who surfaced straight away, this was the same for both floods, however, i have no idea how long water had been in the housing before i realised, as you cant see thro the housing its difficult to tell. with the first flood my camera just started playing up, turning off [ithought it was the battery] and black screen, i was taking macro pics at the time so was really concentration on getting focus of small shrimps which meant i was just looking at the green focus square and didnt notice anything else outside of that. the second time i thought there was air/water trapped between my macro lens [as saw a line across the screen] so took that off but nothing came out and line still on screen and it was then i realised it was water inside.

housing was held port down by buddy when he was taking it out, and also when i realised it was flooded second time i took it to my buddy port down as well.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 07:12 AM ----------

ps what difference would a different make battery make as ive also been looking at these ones http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-C...TF8&coliid=I2NEAC5CSY5X97&colid=3RQWVN1OP65JD as they are a slightly higer at 1000MAh

It was just to figure out if the battery had a gas reaction because of the flooding
Sometimes OEM batteries over heat and start short circuit that can 'warp' an housing, as your speckles seem to be all around the door I was wondering if any emitted gas could have ruined the alloy
Did you notice if the housing poped when you opened it and if there was any smoke or fog or gas?
I would conclude that the housing flood was caused by a defective seal and not by the battery

For what concerns batteries I have one of those energizer they are high quality batteries but last less than the canon though in theory have the same capacity

I have tested the batteries taking shots and don't rely on manufacturer specifications so I can tell you canon lasts around 25% more than the energizer. Still for outside water the energizer is a convenient option

It was just to figure out if the battery had a gas reaction because of the flooding
Sometimes OEM batteries over heat and start short circuit that can 'warp' an housing, as your speckles seem to be all around the door I was wondering if any emitted gas could have ruined the alloy
Did you notice if the housing poped when you opened it and if there was any smoke or fog or gas?
I would conclude that the housing flood was caused by a defective seal and not by the battery

For what concerns batteries I have one of those energizer they are high quality batteries but last less than the canon though in theory have the same capacity

I have tested the batteries taking shots and don't rely on manufacturer specifications so I can tell you canon lasts around 25% more than the energizer. Still for outside water the energizer is a convenient option

on both occasions my OH opened the housing but he would have noticed if there was any gas/fog [actually now i remember when it first flooded and started playing [turning off blacking out ect] up the reason i realised there was water in side is that there was condensation building on the screen, but we are almost certain that leak was cause by a loose screw]

it could certainly be down to the seal or the gel pack inside, suppose time will tell?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom