Flooding problems, My Airlab and the wife's Darwin Air! ARGHH!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I love these computers, but hate that both of our units have had the battery compartment flooded out multiple times in the year (or less) that we've owned them.

My Airlab did it first, (actually three times total so far) and my wife's Darwin has done it twice, both times while we were on a recent trip in Cozumel. The biggest problem I now have is that from the first time on both units it went un-noticed so we have what appears to be rust and I'm assuming battery acid all over the inside which makes the connections iffy.

I can only assume that since both are essentially the same unit that it is a common problem, but now I don't really feel I can trust the reliability of them as a result due to the connection and/or flooding issues so I'm not sure what to do?

Hoping a Rep might be able to provide some suggestions?

I had the Darwin before it developed some erratic readings and no flooding with over 50 dives, the replacement Airlab no flooding with over 30 dives (most in Coz). You have to really check the seal as debris can accumulate or you may have contaminated them while putting batteries in. The good news is that the battery compartment is separate from the computer part so after a clean up chances are it will still work well. I'd be looking at replacing the o ring on the compartment and maybe check with a magnifying glass before you seal it up to make sure nothing is clinging to the o ring and that it is a good fit.

Sorry I didn't see this post until now. This is pretty unusual to have two cases of the same problem come from the same person. We do not have an endemic issue with the battery housing. The computer compartments are different. I suspect it is debris or a faulty Oring. Have you taken it to a dive store to have it inspected? If it is still under 2yr warranty (from date of purchase), you can send them back to a Mares service center for inspection. As mentioned the compartment is isolated from the electronics therefor all is not lost when flooded. Clean out well with a little wht vinegar and qtip, then dry completely, your connections will most likely be ok.

Sorry to not be of more help here on the internet, but I'm sure with an inspection, new orings, and a cleaned compartment, all should be well. Like I said it is not a wide spread issue. I hope this leads to a little more confidence.

Sincerely,

Thx for the reply guys. The only thing I was concerned with with flooding is being on a dive and having the thing die because the compartment floods. Once the battery compartment dried out each time they seem to work as new. After inspection I could see no debris but it is possible the orings are just bad; just struck me as odd to have two of the same design do the same thing, but glad to hear it's not a "chronic" issue with a vast majority of them.

I will do a little better cleaning on the battery compartment, and probably go ahead and replace the orings and see what happens on our next dive. Love the computers (once I got past the initial learning curve!) as not having to touch anything to get more info than you probably need on a dive is great.

I would swap out the O rings rather than take a chance on them again and as Zak says get them checked out by your LDS or Mares. What are you using as an O ring lube and sealer? I know that after each dive day I can find very fine sand grains and even the odd small hair sticking to the cap. I also think that you should refrain from using rechargeable batteries but Zak can confirm. It is one of the best additions I've ever made to my dive kit...the breathing rate indicator is great. Good luck with it. Mares does stand behind the stuff they sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom