Florida Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iowasnowboarder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm posting this here because I am looking for the experience and knowledge of DIR cave divers...

I'm considering trying to get my "experience dives" (25 dives between Cave 1 and 2) in Florida instead of in Akumal where I took Cave 1. Does anyone have insite into who to get in touch with, where to stay, where to dive? I only ask this because Florida is a large area, and I didn't know even how to get started towards planning this trip.

Michael

Assuming you drive to Florida from Colorado, Missouri might offer you some choices as well. Those caves are a little colder, but closer to home.

I have been doing most of my diving the last couple of years around Jackson Blue. There are three caves on the mill pond that are very nice. When flow is up, JB would be good for learning to dive in high flow. Cave Adventurers is online and Edd is a nice guy to talk to about where to stay near Marianna. You have a lot of options there.

There are also plenty of places in the general vacinity of High Springs. For places to stay, the Cadilac, High Springs Country Inn and some places out around the Interstate exist. They aren't the best, but they will do for a cave trip.

There is also a place in Mayo that isn't too terribly bad if diving near Peacock.

Just decide where you want to dive. I find when diving near places like Peacock, LR and Ginnie Springs, we do a lot more driving. That's one of the reasons we really like the mill pond in Marianna.

A good place to get info on different systems is located here:
tampadiving.com :: Florida Cave & Cavern Systems

I'm posting this here because I am looking for the experience and knowledge of DIR cave divers...

I'm considering trying to get my "experience dives" (25 dives between Cave 1 and 2) in Florida instead of in Akumal where I took Cave 1. Does anyone have insite into who to get in touch with, where to stay, where to dive? I only ask this because Florida is a large area, and I didn't know even how to get started towards planning this trip.

Michael

My team stays at the Gateway Inn in Lake City.
Makes for a better location when a trip is going to encompass diving Devils, Little River, Madison and Peacock area. Pretty hard to beat the price and there are plenty of places to eat at in Lake City unlike most of the other choices.

It will cost you $10 a day to dive the state parks (Peacock, Madison), Little River is free (currently), and Ginnie would be $28 a day at your current cert level.

For gas fills, you'll be looking at $0.08 per cu/ft for 32% (only pay for what you need).

There are also plenty of places in the general vacinity of High Springs. For places to stay, the Cadilac, High Springs Country Inn and some places out around the Interstate exist. They aren't the best, but they will do for a cave trip.

I highly agree with Dan.
We usually stay at the Country Inn, Cable TV, wireless Internet, fridge and hangers on all front porches to dry your gear.

I used to stay at private homes, but there is a huge risk of the owner not being there when you arrive (family matters, health, forgot about it etc.) it could be difficult to find a place on short notice if this happens.
One more option fir 4 people would be the place that cave excursion is renting, something like $40 a night and sleeps four.
Give Rich a call if interested on that.

We might have to consider Lake City as we don't know exactly what we want to do and in what order on the trip next week.

My team stays at the Gateway Inn in Lake City.
Makes for a better location when a trip is going to encompass diving Devils, Little River, Madison and Peacock area. Pretty hard to beat the price and there are plenty of places to eat at in Lake City unlike most of the other choices.

It will cost you $10 a day to dive the state parks (Peacock, Madison), Little River is free (currently), and Ginnie would be $28 a day at your current cert level.

For gas fills, you'll be looking at $0.08 per cu/ft for 32% (only pay for what you need).

And Floyd's is just across the street.

I highly agree with Dan.
We usually stay at the Country Inn, Cable TV, wireless Internet, fridge and hangers on all front porches to dry your gear.

This thread is fine here, but in the future I would recommend posting this type of stuff in the regular DIR forum where you can get a larger audience to respond. (The cave diving forum may be more appropriate but there are quite a few people that only read the DIR forums so that is your call.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom