Florida girl goes Dry and Cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkyJillian

Contributor
Reaction score
Current base of Operations: Bimini, The Bahamas
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For the first time in 2 years I traded in my rash guard for a dry suit and braved the cold water. We did the Eureka Oil rig off San Pedro on the Pac Star with the SSA crew. Viz was much better than I expected at about 50-60. The anemones were brilliant and the garibaldis were beautiful. It was my first encounter with sea lions and I am hooked.

As an avid Florida/Bahamas diver SoCal gets a gold star. Lots more gear to lug, but WORTH it. I can't wait to get in the water again!!!

Ah, you see... there's life outside of tropical waters after all! Glad you enjoyed diving our neck of the woods.

I started out diving cold water getting certified in Kennebunkport, Maine. Work carried to Florida where I got spoiled.

I have to say though yesterday was amazing and am excited to finally be moving out here.
Hoping to join some locals for a lot more diving!!!

Cheers,

Jillian

Glad to hear you are enjoying So Cal diving! Where abouts are you moving to? The wife and I are new divers, but we dive Laguna, Catalina, and various boats as often as possible.

I will be moving to the Newport Beach area, atleast for part of the year. I think I will be doing the bi coastal living thing.

I work for an underwater camera and imaging company out here and do atleast 2 trips a month, but I want to do some beach diving as well.

I will be moving to the Newport Beach area, atleast for part of the year. I think I will be doing the bi coastal living thing.

I work for an underwater camera and imaging company out here and do atleast 2 trips a month, but I want to do some beach diving as well.

I was working out in Pensacola and Charleston, SC this past summer and I gotta say, each trip I was itching to get home and get in our refreshing water. It was nice wearing my boardshorts and rashguard but I felt like I was sweating u/w it was so warm!

Good to hear you had a good time, You'll be in a good spot in Newport(I'll be there 3 nights this week), lots of good diving in Laguna and down in San Diego. We also have some really good boats in Ventura that go to the northern channel island.

Billy

Wow SharkyJillian that picture you have in your profile is awsome:lotsalove:
Got the big eel in front and the submarine in the back.

I spent 10 years in West Palm. In fact, it's where I first got hooked on diving. So Cal and So Fl diving are pretty different, but both can be excellent in their own unique way. Glad to hear you enjoyed diving the oil rigs. There's definitely a wide variety of other great diving opportunities here.

Newport Beach is just a few miles from Laguna Beach, where you can find some pretty nice shore diving. Several sites are excellent choices for first So Cal beach dives. Several of us dive there a few times per week year around. If you'd like to give it a try next time you're headed out, feel free to give a shout.

That photo was taken by Walt Stearns for a Sport Diver Magazine gear shoot.

The eel is Baby a local celebrity in Pompano Beach, FL

Check into the monthly Wrinkles dives on threads here or on The Dive Matrix. Each month SoCal divers go to a different site, rotating between Catalina, LA, OC and SD counties. It's a great way to meet local divers and dive different locations with those knowledgeable about them.

Back
Top Bottom