Florida locals help please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrobinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok - I'm a cold water diver going for my first warm water trip. My husband and I are planning to go to Orlando May 16 (possibly heading south but we're really flexible.) We want to dive wrecks. What's the weather like? Water Temp? Anything you'd like to warn us/welcome us with? We've been diving very regularly for five years in mountain lakes and West coast ocean diving. (I'm really not interested in cattle drives...) PLEASE help!

Hey there! If its wrecks your interested in, head South to Ft. Lauderdale. There are some amazing place for you to check out. As far as water/air temps, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised, no scubacicles here.. :D The only thing I could actually warn you against is that in May, we still have the annoying sea lice hanging out, not a biggie if you wear an exposure suit and lube some SafeSea lotion on your neck and face. Last year didn't seem to be as bad as the year before, and not everyone has a problem with them (reaction wise).

I'm certain as the day progresses and more Florida Conchs get home from work (or wake up ) you find a ton of welcoming Conchs ready to assist you.

Vickie

May diving..mmmm... WARM. Wear a skin so you dont burn. We're not yet into rainy season so Thunderstorms isn't an issue. What the type of dive you want and we'll point you where to go. :D

That's the beginning of swim suit season. No exposure suits needed. Great time to dive Florida's wrecks. I agree, Broward County has some great wrecks (but then so does Palm Beach County). What depths are you interested in exploring?

Walter:
That's the beginning of swim suit season. No exposure suits needed. Great time to dive Florida's wrecks. I agree, Broward County has some great wrecks (but then so does Palm Beach County). What depths are you interested in exploring?
:11: What's diving without exposure suits like? LOL!!
I like to hang out 125' but willing to stay shallow too. If we do go a little deeper, is there a thermocline? (Please excuse my ignorance of warm water. I hang out in the pool too so I do know that after 4 hours you get a small chill... Boy I can't wait!)
Wrecks are preferred but I'm desperate enough to do anything...

So far really good responses - Sea lice (Vickie) Thanks a million guys. I'm looking forward to more...

It's true that exposure suits aren't a necesity in May, but it's always a good idea to dive with one. Considering the abundant amounts of fire coral in our waters, I wouldn't dive without, at least, a 1mm suit (both my wife and I dive a 3mm year-round and are always comfortable).

Just my .02 psi

I do not religiously log water temp, but last year on 5/22 and 5/26 I logged 81 degrees. When it is that warm, I leave my 3mm in the bag, except if I plan on wreck penetration. Currently 71-73 degrees are common.

As Walter alluded, "Ft Lauderdale" really gets alot of credit for great wreck diving, but really that is just the nearest airport. There are good wrecks up and down the Palm Beach / Broward County coast.

If you would like to whet your appetite, try to get ahold of Ray McAllister's "Diving Locations" (less than $20). It is available in most local shops but his email is dinodivr@bellsouth.net.

lhpdiver - Thanks! I will for sure! I'm hearing really good things too about Lady Diver. Anyone? How about nitrox fills or twin rentals?

mrobinson:
Ok - I'm a cold water diver going for my first warm water trip. My husband and I are planning to go to Orlando May 16 (possibly heading south but we're really flexible.) We want to dive wrecks. What's the weather like? Water Temp? Anything you'd like to warn us/welcome us with? We've been diving very regularly for five years in mountain lakes and West coast ocean diving. (I'm really not interested in cattle drives...) PLEASE help!
head down south to Key Largo if going that far the uss speigel and duane are best wrecks i have ever been on great action not to mention hit pennekemp park beautiful reef and lots of rays, nurse sharks and other assorted marine life i used admiral dive center 10 people max loved it reefs are usually at 25 tp 65 ft

mrobinson:

MAy 16th? Keep an eye peeled here for dives nearer that time frame. I am sure that some of us ( if not all of us) will be diving somewhere that week.

I have seen water temps in the mid eighties down to seventy seven degrees in May so it is a "toin coss."

"warn us/Welcome us" Hmm I already welcomed... so the warnings. Watch out for the freaking retired drivers from Quebec! They are awful.. can't see and are VERY rude. Hopefully they will have made their trek back to the tundra by then.. brrr though being Canadien I am sure you know what I mean.

Secondly being a diver and having never dove our waters before I recommend bringing a copy of your local yellow pages. This makes it easier to call your utilty companies, the movers, the post office and other such people after you get here and swear to Neptune you'll never leave.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom