Florida Panhandle diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive Locker is a spear friendly charter unless anyone objects ahead of time and they do have some 6 pack operators that cater to spearos. I also cater to spearos and am an avid shooter myself.

Can anyone tell me the water temperature? What type of wetsuit does one need in Pensacola over Memorial Day?

Can anyone tell me the water temperature? What type of wetsuit does one need in Pensacola over Memorial Day?

I'd guess the mid 70's....

a shortie or a 3mm full if you get cold easily. You'll see some people diving in just a vest or swim trunks though and some in a 5mm. just depends on how you tolerate temps.

If you get cold easily, wear a hood. It makes a big difference. I was comfortable last weekend in a 3mm Jacket and John, but my buddy was diving a 3mm shorty and never complained.

Here's a question for Todd or Pat Green regarding spearfishing...

I'm a total newbie when it comes to spear fishing (zero spear fishing dives) and my newly certified buddy (my wife) just won't dive with me if I'm spearing. What would you suggest? Do either of your charters cater to someone like me? How do you partner up spearos, or do you? How does a loner spearo get started?

By the way, I dove with Todd last summer and he and the Capt were pretty cool. We dove the
Black Bart and bridge span. He even came chasing me when my dive ran long and I was pushing my limits. He's a conciencous DM and a good dude.

Dr Dive,

Here in Panama City, we do not just like to dive the close in stuff. The close in stuff is easy to get to, and not bad, but we ran to the "Grey Ghost" the other day. I guess I should start by saying I represent the Dive Locker, here in Panama City Beach, and we run all the time. Give us a call 850 230 8006
Todd

Our local club went out with them on a 2 tank dive last weekend and everyone had a good time...wish i could've made it.

Thats kinda a tricky question. The best way to learn how to spearfish is with a group of more experienced spearos who can speed up your learning curve. Todd and I can tell you what you need to do and let you off a boat with a speargun... but you will be alooooong way from from being proficient for some time. If you want to talk some time either pm us here or use my signature line to get my number and email, I can talk about spearing for years on end.

At a minimum a spearo must have advanced skills like perfect buoyancy control and underwater navigation and be comfortable doing repete dives at 100'.... before you even look at a fish with ill intent.

The tricky part is that dedicated spearing charters tend to be expensive and not everyone is willing to have a new guy tag along that they don't know. Alot of spearos rely on the "same day, same ocean" buddy system with people they know! Personally I feel your best bet would be to tag along on regular charters with your gun and a more experienced buddy. Take it with you on the dives as you are able without other objecting, which is uncommon here in PCB. As you get more proficient (people are divers with spearguns rather than spearfishermen until they shoot their first gag grouper) and then take out a true spearing charter with the spearos you will have met by that time.

Seriously though, new divers and spearing don't mix. This is not due to any actual danger to the new divers, but to the perceived dangers that can lead them to panic and hurt themselves. A big part of dive safety is keeping people inside their comfort zone.

As Pat said, diving should be your first priority, get used to being under water in all of your gear, build good habits, like looking at your air gauge and paying attention to your depth and time before you mix in carrying around a spear gun. Even with as many dives as I have done, I still get a little single minded down there when I am hunting. Once Pat is up and running full time, I would suggest jumping on one of his boats and picking his brain during your surface interval. Good Cap't and great spearo.... He's missed here at the dive locker.

A suggestion might be to take a camera and "shoot" some fish that way first. that way you increase your task loading a little with the camera and you can see how having something else to do can affect your diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom