Florida panhandle Jan/Feb 2010..........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbm

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. Hoping you oldtimers from the panhandle can provide this oldtimer with some local diving information.
I'll be spending January and February 2010 in your area and I want to get loads of diving done. I'm not fussy..fresh water....salt water....boat dives....shore dives...I like it all, but my fav is wrecks.
I will be RVing it and staying in mostly state parks..Topsail/ St. Andrews/ Henderson etc. I will go wherever there is a diving opportunity.
I'm looking for dive site recommendations, charter outfits, shore dives etc. Any information will be much appreciated. And if any one wants to meet up for a dive or two, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance for all replies.........

James

WE stayed several winters in Destin. Here is some info.:
Destin: Emerald Coast Scuba and Scuba Tech(both PADI) both on US 98 in town. Charters usually starting late March. They mostly go to wrecks-nothing spectacular, but also some rocks (they call them reefs). Scuba Shop (NAUI) in Ft. Walton Beach- same idea.
The East ("Thumb") Jetty out from Destin Bridge.: Strong current-go at high tide. Get about 50 feet. Fairly long walk-ask where to park- need dive flag.
Destin Bridge: W. side of Br. parking lot. Same current. Can get deep near center of bridge.

Panama City (Beach): St.Andrews Jetties: enter from gulf side or channel side. At jetty tip about 45 ft. Channel side drops off to 70 feet. Watch current. If tide is right you can enter from gulf and go around jetty to exit from channel.
Dive Locker of PC Beach. Charters to deep wrecks.

If you are in the area for a while, you should come up to Pensacola. We have hundreds of wrecks including the Oriskany. Pretty decent shore diving at Ft. Pickens. If you dive Ft Pickens check the tides, you want to be in the water a couple hours before high tide, as the current gets pretty strong with the outgoing tide.
For boat dives, contact Dive Pros Home and they will hook you up for some wreck dives.
Destin has a couple shore dives, under the Destin bridge from the west end there is a parking lot close to the water. The dive is fairly shallow, but there are usually a few critters to see. The other is at the jetties, a lot longer walk but a decent shore dive. Check with Emerald Coast Emerald Coast Scuba - Emerald Coast Scuba. Jan -Feb is prime manatee season and the spot is not too far from where you will be. They are in Crystal River Fl. about 5 hours from Destin /Panama City.You can email me when you are here, we usually do a trip down at that time of the year and if so, you are welcome to join us.pickensdiver@gmail.com .Bring your wetsuit, the water gets a little chilly in Febuary.

James,

I second the recommendation that you visit Pensacola. We do have a wealth of diving opportunities, as well as a variety of other attractions. Jan-Feb is a good time to hang out and eat some seafood and enjoy the beach. The diving is awesome as well. Check out the local dive shops for gear and check out Dr Dive for dive info. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Looking forward to sharing our corner of paradise with you.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

My plans are pretty much set and my campgrounds are mostly booked. I will spending most of January either in the Destin area (Topsail State Park) or at Panama City Beach (St. Andrews State Park.) Looking forward to diving the jetties and other shore dives as well as hopefully getting out for some boat diving. I'm planning on Vortex and Morrison as well. Any and all information regarding above will be much appreciated and if anyone wants to hook up for a dive or two, that would be great.

I will be moving on to the Pensacola area in February and definitely want to dive the Oriskany as well as take advantage of any other diving opportunities. Any information regarding the Pensacola area would be welcomed. I'm looking for good RV park recommendations in the area ( I understand the nearest state park is Blackwater but I would prefer something closer to the Gulf.) Again, if anyone wants to meet up for some diving, I'm game.

A couple of questions....

I will be diving HP120 tanks/DIN valves. Any problems getting good fills?

I'll be diving wet...What would you recommend for exposure protection?

I'm interested in learning to spearfish and acquiring a speargun. Would there be training opportunities? Recommended spearguns guns ?

Again....Thanks in advance for all replies.

James

I would suggest looking in the Perdido/Orange Beach area for camp grounds a little closer to the gulf. The state park at the edge of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach is inexpensive and very nice. It is also right on the gulf and only about 30 minutes from P'Cola.

As for Vortex and Morrison they are great winter dives because the water actually feels warm compared to the outside temp. A 3mm suit is fine for the springs but I use a 7mm semi-dry in the gulf that time of year. I also use HP120's (great tanks) and you should not have any problem getting full fills.

Most of the dive shops on the gulf have a good selection of spearguns. I don't know your personal requirments but a 48" Riffe or AB Biller wood (teak or mahogany) gun will shoot pretty much anything you come across in the gulf and still be handy to use. I would contact Capt. Pat Green ( Panama City Dive Charters - Scuba diving charters, specializing in wreck and spearfishing dives off Panama City and Panama City Beach, Florida.) about spearfishing charters in Panama City. He runs a great boat for all experience levels. If you are in the Orange Beach area give us a call (Alabamadive.com - the Gulf Coast's Online Scuba Diving Community - HOME) and we usually have no problem getting a boatload to go out. We also have a large selection of guns and classes.

The state park by Gulf Shores sounds like it should work for me. Thanks for the lead.

Thanks for the speargun recommendations and the Panama City Dive Charters lead.

When I get to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach I'll give a shout.

Thanks again;

jbm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom