Flower Garden Banks - Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shot! hope to go diving there one day! must not be too cold if you're sporting a shorty, btw how deep would you say the dive is?

This is on my wish list. Can you share details? What outfit did you use, and what were the dive profiles?

Great shot! hope to go diving there one day! must not be too cold if you're sporting a shorty, btw how deep would you say the dive is?

Thanks Cat. I wore my surfing 5-4-3 for dive #1 and was hot. I changed to a rash guard and shorts for the remaining 6 dives. Water temp was a balmy 86 degrees. One could dive pretty deep on all dives, there were walls close by. We were limited by our 32% Nitrox mix and the boat requires a limit of 130' (or MOD) for dive 1 of the day and 100' on subsequent dives. They also ask for your depth and BT every time you exit. Pretty stringent on that rule.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 07:15 PM ----------

This is on my wish list. Can you share details? What outfit did you use, and what were the dive profiles?

Sure, we did (7) total dives. We dove Nitrox 32% and our dive profiles were as follows:

DAY 1
Dive 1 - West Garden Banks Buoy #2 - 105' for 46 minutes
Dive 2 - WGB Buoy #2 - 90' for 50 minutes
Dive 3 - Oil Rig 389A - 93' for 57 minutes
Dive 4 - East Garden Banks Buoy #4 - 75' for 60 minutes
Dive 5 (Night) - EGB Buoy #4 - 75' for 56 minutes

DAY 2
Dive 6 - Stetson Bank Buoy #3 - 80' for 58 minutes
Dive 7 - Stetson Bank Buoy #4 - 98' for 66 minutes

We went with the MV Fling out of Freeport. They run a very tight ship, but I respect that a great deal. Lots of "rules", but all intended to keep divers and crew safe. Really, there weren't any drawbacks on the Fling. The crew was excellent and handled equipment gear well. In fact, one DM accidentally hit my camera port on the boat deck while lowering it to me. Instead of dropping it to me, they insisted I exit the water and inspect it. The outer ring (which doesn't really serve a purpose) lost a screw and the port was slightly dislodged. I reassembled and dunked it to make sure it was secure. Disaster avoided :) Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

A lot of good photography in your album, but that frontal close-up face shot of the scorpionfish was a personal favorite. Just begs for some sort of caption.

Richard.

A lot of good photography in your album, but that frontal close-up face shot of the scorpionfish was a personal favorite. Just begs for some sort of caption.

Richard.

Thanks Richard. Yeah he looks a little grumpy. Don't think he liked my camera rig up in its grill.

You take beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 06:29 PM ----------

Great images. Now another place has been added to my to dive wish list.

Thanks, the Oil Rig dive was definitely an all time favorite.

Back
Top Bottom