Flower Gardens :: Apr 13-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Just submitted my "booking form" for the trip, should probably hear about it tomorrow regarding confirmation.

Anyon else from here on the Spree for this trip?

Well fine! :D More room for me! haha

Question for those who have a perspective on the April trips - temp wise, what are people wearing? 5's with a 3mil shorty? 7m's with hoods? dry suits? :D

I have a 6.5 semi dry that I use to dive ray roberts in the winter months so I'm thinking about bringing that. Just curious if it's overkill since space is limited and I don't wanna bring all my neoprene. I'd rather be warm then cold, but I don't wanna bake :wink:

Hi,
Sorry I don't have any information on exposure gear for Flower Gardens. But I am
curious about diving Ray Roberts. What's it like? Where do you enter? Do you use
a boat?
Thanks,
Ron

I did a 5mm with a 3mm shortie in March a couple years ago. If was fine for the first couple of dives. But the 5th dive I spent wrapped up in my bunk shivering. I don't think you have to worry about overkill in April.

Thanks, someone on the exposure suit forum suggested a 1.5...hell, I can't wear a 1.5 in CSSP during the summer without getting cold. I will prolly bring a 5 just as a backup.

Ray Roberts sucks on visiblity (maybe 2-3ft on a good day), too much crap in suspension and there is little if any current if away from the dam. But it's deep. Me and my buddy take his boat out since he lives right across the road from isle du bois. Our typical plan is to sink an anchor line and either do skill work or screw around trying to find the old submerged bridges/houses using his depth finder and an old USGS map. (Not a real safe area, lots of rebar and concrete trash in piles for fish habitats)

If you find a pile, hang out quietly around 20-25 and you can scope out the 2ft large mouth bass. When their head is as big as yours...that's a big fish.

Jedi,

In April the water will be warmer than in March. Also, the water tends to run a little warmer at the Flower Garden Banks than at Stetson. Here's what I wear at that time of year. Full 5mm, high boots at least 3mm gloves that velcro down well above the wrists and a bibbed hood. I take a 2mm shorty to preserve core warmth if needed on the fourth and fifth dives. Remember, that minimizing water circulation makes all the difference in the world and you can lose up to 40% of your body heat through the head. Enjoy your trip!!

Regards,

My only experience for an early trip out there called for blue jeans and a t-shirt. In other words, we got "waved out". All my other trips have been in late June and early July, and we've never had a problem with weather in that time slot.
(I know, I know...it's still a "roll of the dice" even then.) Still, it's a great trip and I love getting out there every time I can. That's why I volunteer with the NMS!

Well I'm driving myself nuts by watchign the weather forecasts and paying attention to the wave height.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/GM/080.html?map=wave&animate=1#map

Latest one is Fri
Se to S winds 20 to 25 kt. Seas 7 to 10 ft. Scattered showers near TX coast.

I don't think its gonna go :(

Anyone have suggestions on an alternate? Seems like the weather has taken the entire gulf coast "offline".

I am curiouse what you are paying for the trip out there if I may ask. Since most of the companies have been pushed out of business, and all of it must be booked through and LDS, the prices have went up significantly. Not enough competition anymore.

BTW: an early trip in April is dicey. I have never been cold in my 5mm or too hot once in the water. You could probably get away with the 3 and a hood but if you have a choice for both go with the heavier one. No reason to be cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom