flushing toilet paper not allowed mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blastman4444

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Been reading that most or some hotels tell guests not to throw toilet paper in the toilet instead to put it in the waste basket Yuck. I know this is the norm in lower end parts of Mexico but I was surprised I read some reviews on Travel advisory that even 350$ a night hotels were doing this is this common in Cozumel?

I think a few of the pricier hotels may have additional equipment for grinding the paper flushed, but very few. Most Latin American toilets are not really equipped to handle tissue paper.

I mentioned to a new owner of a small hotel that it would be nice if the bathroom cans at least had lids. She said to go ahead and flush the paper if it bothered me, but i try not to. I get a box of baking soda at Mega and sprinkle it a lot on the paper. I do wish they'd get lids tho.

Strange I have lived in houses here with septic tanks we just buy paper that is made for septic tanks nothing was grinding anything.

I have been to China went to Beijing, Guangzhou, and HongKong in 1985 I don't remember that although I only went to the bathroom in the hotels mostly. I do remember going once to a bathroom in a business where my father was working this was a business trip I went with him about I was 16 years old and saw some kind of toilet on the ground. That was when China was a different country hardly any westerners were there. Is this a practice in Australia as well? Why doesn't any of the plumbing in America clog must be poor designs they have 3rd world like mexico.

there is a reason for this...
How it was explained to us - The island of Cozumel is a hard coral reef, solid rock. Think about how difficult and expensive it is to drill through that to lay sewer pipes. Sewer pipes from most hotels are very old, small diameter, and can get clogged very easily.

robin:D

Then here in Texas, we often see soiled toilet paper in convenience store lavatory trash seemingly left by people who don't know that we flush here. Probly a good clue for Border Patrol agents. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom