Flying a kite underwater and other goofy things to do while wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roncreel

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about things that one could do underwater that are more commonly performed on dry land such as riding a bike, playing board games and tag football. And then I recalled the day that I found a really cool kite half buried in the river silt. When I freed the kite and held it by the line, it caught the current as it would have caught a stiff breeze.

Had I not let go of the line, I would have been pulled down the river, dragged out to sea, all the while passing the time playing with my new toy.

So has anyone else done anything like this? Anything you have done, or think you would like to do? Watching fish and admiring tropical coral can only be so much fun. If you are a competent diver, you will eventually need to do something goofy like take your fins off, fill your BC full of air and walk upside down on a cavern ceiling.

Anyone willing to share?

Ron

A goofy-looking thing that caused a really weird sensation ....

I did a safety stop upside down while drifting over a 30' Cozumel reef. It took a while for the reversed breathing pattern to get automatic (inhale to move yourself towards feet "down" to the shiny surface; exhale to move in the direction of your head).

After a minute or so, the whole world reversed itself, and I would have sworn that the reef was flying by above me, with the shiny surface below my feet. Very, very strange feeling.

It's hard to describe, but it was kind of like when a car next to you at a stoplight rolls forward and you momentarily think that you are rolling backwards.

Doing the same thing in blue water or with a distant bottom doesn't have the same effect as doing it midway between the surface and a reef. The current also seems to enhance the effect.

This may sound stupid to some folks, or You might say "Oh thats been done before"
I got ow certified in Grand Cayman this past Summer, While doing a saftey stop of 20ft
My instructor pulled out a travel sized " Magna doodle" We played tick tac toe to pass the time. I thought it was fun. It can also be used to identify fish and plant life. Easy to carry with you. Turtle Gal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom