Flying into Clark March 21st for a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just booked a great promotion on Cebu Pacific without thinking about whether this is a good time to dive in the area. Also, where can I dive within a few hours drive of this airport? I like macro and pristine reefs...sharks and other pelagics are cool but I want to take pics of the small stuff.

Sorry, I know nothing about Philippine diving. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

You should do searches on this board for the following places:

1. Anilao
2. Subic
3. Puerto Gallera

Then make your decision on where to go. However if you want more choices and because the airfares in the Philippines is so cheap, you can also consider:

1. Dumaguette/Dauin
2. Moalboal
3. Malapascua
4. Bohol

So you can go to any of these places and enjoy for a few days.

Cheer,
Roger

Be aware that Clarke is 2-3hrs outside of Manila. So Subic is the closest. But like Roger said, internal flights might be a good bet depending on what kind of diving you're looking for.

Have fun,

Matt.

Depends on what you are looking for :eyebrow::no:. Doing an Angeles, Subic, Sabang trip myself starting in about 13 days. Subic is on and off again and seems very touchy to being decent to down right bad. Can't beat the wrecks though... just leave it as an option based upon weather while in that area.

We will be doing the bus / boat ride over to Sabang and staying with divers cafe which have a couple of apartments there for rent. They have been pretty good to work with so far and will write up a review of everything once I'm back.

Note of warning on the Sabang / Pureto area. I'm hearing from the ground that the local government (Purteo) will be implementing a nice tax hike at the beginning of the year :shocked2::depressed:. Don't know if this is across all areas (hotels, food, diving, etc...) or isolated to specific "establishments" in that area. Either way prices could be going up quite a bit and may cause some to go other places.

I just booked a great promotion on Cebu Pacific without thinking about whether this is a good time to dive in the area. Also, where can I dive within a few hours drive of this airport? I like macro and pristine reefs...sharks and other pelagics are cool but I want to take pics of the small stuff.

Sorry, I know nothing about Philippine diving. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction.
I am afraid you had made a wrong decision on flying into Clark!!!
The nearest diving area is in Subic Bay(1-2hrs) which is mainly wrecks diving.
San Fernando in La Union is another 3-4 hrs up north but the diving is not interesting at all except for the M-10 tanks.
Anilao would probably suit you best but it is at least 5-6 hrs away by private transfer(expensive). You fly into the country because of cheap flight so I do not think that you will fork out US$150.00 for the one way transfer to Anilao. However, it can be done by public transport but the route is very tedious.
Alternatively, since your flight is scheduled to arrive at 04:00 so you have plenty of time to go to Dau bus stop and get any Victory Liner bus to Pasay in Manila. A short taxi ride will get you to Buen Dia for buses(Ceres, JAM etc) departing for Batangas Pier(ferry transfer to Puerto Galera). If you arrive at Manila around 07:30 then you may consider a taxi ride to City State Tower Hotel on Mabini St. for its daily Si-Kat transfer to PG.

If I were you I will go to Subic Bay. The wrecks are great.
Bus from Dau to Olongapo is frequent and dirt cheap.
Broad Walk inside the Free Port or Johan on Baloy Beach are experienced dive operators.

Clark is in Angles City?

Although I like wrecks, I prefer macro and nice healthy reefs for photographing.

So what is best between Anilao and Puerta Galera for a nice overall dive experience? Aren't there any van services that go from Clark direct to either of these two places? I'm not interested in $150 each way and don't really want to take two buses mixed with taxis as Centrals was so kind to clearly explain above.

I could overnight in Angeles and then I guess I could transfer to Manila for a van if that's possible to either spot.

Bus from Dau to Olongapo is frequent and dirt cheap.

If you would rather take a van hire from AC to Subic, Kokomos Van Hire is affordable. And less of a hassle then having to go to and from the bus stations. I also find it more comfortable than riding the bus with more comfortable seats and aircon.

But it is a good chance there will be sex tourists in the Van Hire, so keep that in mind.

Not sure that I'm interested in Subic but I'll do a bit of research.

For those of you that have dove Anilao and Puerta Gallera, how did you get there? Did you start from Manila?

I will be writing up a step by step report on how to go from angeles (aka clark) to sabang (aka Puerto galera). Unless u are going to be there in the next 20 days just hang on for me to post it. We will be doing the local bus things to save lots of $$$. Also I would not recommend a bus to Subic unless u plan to stay the night since they leave pretty late (10am?) which means u will not be doing a morning type dive there. Van rental is another matter but I am planning to rent a car and go ourselves. Will post a step by step for that as well. Overall Subic has its value for historical purposes. Plus given the contention of china there have been rumors of the US military coming back. China has been flexing its muscles in the china sea and the Philippines is not very comfortable with their actions. Dive Subic while u can.... good chance I will be shutdown again within the next 10 years.

Also the Philippines is debating changing the default international airport for Philippines from manila to clark so the area is growing up. Say what you will about the entertainment tourists they are of no harm. Philippines is not the safest place in world so mind you p's and q's.

No matter where u go in the country entertainment venues are around. Angeles would be considered the pit of that activity though... if Subic is a goal, clark is about as close as u can get to that destination.

If u go into angeles just don't fall in love because about every other girl is looking to escape the poverty of the country.

Also the Philippines is debating changing the default international airport for Philippines from manila to clark so the area is growing up.

That "plan" has been around for as long as I can remember in the Philippines...but whether it will actually happen...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom