Flying with a tank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who were essentially saying "Who's gonna stop you" from bringing them on a private plane. Well you can make that same argument for anything, including a pilot without a license. But to answer your question, there is such a thing as a random Ramp Check. Essentially an FAA agent can walk up to your plane, and check everything. They'll go through Arow (Airworthiness, registration, operating handbook, and weight and balance), then check your license level. Of course they'll also be looking at what you're carrying. Its a major problem if you are not in compliance.

Can you get away with it?; probably. Is it worth trying?; Id rather pay the $10 rental at my destination.

I agree with the rental (Is there some odd reason you need your own tank?). A fill may cost $7 and fill with tank rental $9. When we snowbird down South there are 2 shops that for maybe $20 extra will let me keep two of their tanks in a condo--can return them when I want for fills and not have to worry about getting them back the same day or next day.

Airlines may prohibit tanks. However they don't search your bags, TSA does. So if it's in a bag just don't say anything, remove the valve and print the tsa instruction and tape it to the tank. I have never had a problem. Call shops some will do a free vis, just not put a new sticker on it. That has been my experience.

Does anybody have any experience of flying privately on a pressurized aircraft with there own gear specifically with the tank. Do you put it in the cabin with you or is it ok in the baggage compartment unpressurized. The tank will have air in it. Thanks
I always drag my 19 cuft pony with me when I travel for diving. Never had a problem with TSA or getting it filled at the other end (I do email ahead of time to confirm I'll get a fill)

A VIP to refill a tank in hydro with 'just' air is pure BS (IMHO). Not so much if they are doing partial pressure O2 blending for Nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom