Flying with Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't really matter, because you're making a big mistake if you think the TSA goons actually know the TSA rules.
I've been told "You must put those batteries in carry on" and "You cannot take [the same batteries] in carry on" by different TSA goons.

It doesn't really matter, because you're making a big mistake if you think the TSA goons actually know the TSA rules.
I've been told "You must put those batteries in carry on" and "You cannot take [the same batteries] in carry on" by different TSA goons.

Not to mention that the rules in foreign airports might be the opposite of the rules in US airports. Mexico is the prime example.

I believe there is a recent change in the rules for the US. Anyone have the definitive link?

Undated. :hmmm:

From Cave Divers Forum:
IMPORTANT AIR TRAVEL ANNOUNCEMENT
There is a recent CFR update regarding FAA rules for air travel with Li-ION batteries. All Li-ION batteries on passenger aircraft must be UN/DOT 38.3 certified. We have provided a link on the air travel page of our website to the new CFR. We strongly recommend when traveling with UW Light Dude Gen 5 lights, on passenger aircraft, that your print our Air Travel Information/Certification page to have with you. All UW Light Dude Gen 5 lights are below the 160wh limit and are UN/DOT 38.3 certified.

The above was dated 2015 10 16

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2015 at 03:17 PM ----------

Dated 2015 10 08

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2015/SAFO15010.pdf

I posted the announcement here on SB as well. We have the latest CFR update on the air travel page of our website. The OP already has the UN/DOT 38.3 certificate from his light manufacturer. Anyone one else needs to know that now passengers taking Li batteries on passenger aircraft need to be prepared to show that they are UN/DOT 38.3 proven compliant. This change just came out so it is any ones guess as to how TSA will handle it. I know that in other countries when the change came through they have been rather heavy handed. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

If you have the bigger ones, you are at your own risk of getting a nice TSA agent that you can sweet talk into convincing the "isolation" is actually isolated

What is this "sweet talk" you speak of?

Obviously you plan to take it but that's a lot of light for the Turks/Caicos since the water is usually so clear we often turned our lights off at night and could see well enough by moonlight/ships lights. I did fine with a $40 220lumen Cree C4 Dorcy light - up close fish would even run and hide from it. A woman on our boat had the $150 3-bulb Princeton hand light - IDK the rating - and we always knew where she was just by the glow.

It'll be good in French Cay though when the sharks feed at the bow while you're doing your safety stop at the stern. The baitfish are attracted to the boat lights, bringing in their predators, bringing in the reefies. Later one night I watched them feed just off the stern from the dive deck long after everybody was back on board. Maybe 11ish.

What is this "sweet talk" you speak of?

trying to convince them that because the positive leads are disconnected from each of the packs that they are "independent" battery packs despite the negative leads still being connected and all of the packs in one canister that are not designed for independent use. That is LM's current stance on how to bring the big canisters on board.

trying to convince them that because the positive leads are disconnected from each of the packs that they are "independent" battery packs despite the negative leads still being connected and all of the packs in one canister that are not designed for independent use. That is LM's current stance on how to bring the big canisters on board.

A diagram might help.

Back
Top Bottom