Flying with Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted the announcement here on SB as well. We have the latest CFR update on the air travel page of our website. The OP already has the UN/DOT 38.3 certificate from his light manufacturer. Anyone one else needs to know that now passengers taking Li batteries on passenger aircraft need to be prepared to show that they are UN/DOT 38.3 proven compliant. This change just came out so it is any ones guess as to how TSA will handle it. I know that in other countries when the change came through they have been rather heavy handed. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I think there is a certain degree of FUD going on. I carry Li batteries. No worries (I think, I could be wrong?). They are all AA size.

I believe that the real issue is about "battery packs" and not "individual batteries". i have seen too many threads were people were panicking about the extra batteries for their strobes (4 AA's per set).

in general the airlines realize that a spare laptop battery pack needs to accommodated.

It would be beneficial is someone could post some clear information about "okay" and "too large" battery packs. And then indicated which percentage of the market the too large packs are. Are there only a few?

I drag a bunch of strobes with extra batteries as well as a pile of "small" dive lights (we prefer night dives). Every time some one posts about this topic i re-panic and re-read the rules to understand that we are not in their target market. Not even close. Our equipment is well below the panic threshold.

No need for panic. Yes the main concern is for battery packs. The limit per pack is 160 wh.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 08:16 PM ----------

The intent of our posting here and our original post was not to create "FUD". Our intention is to inform divers traveling by passenger aircraft of recent changes. As a manufacturer it is difficult to know what we need to do, much more difficult for end users. The OP posted a concern for a canister light which contains a battery pack.

No need for panic. Yes the main concern is for battery packs. The limit per pack is 160 wh.
Thanks. and to further educate us, how many AAs does it take to make 160 wh? I am only used to seeing AA ratings like 2000 and 2500 mAh?

Thanks. and to further educate us, how many AAs does it take to make 160 wh? I am only used to seeing AA ratings like 2000 and 2500 mAh?

It depends on the wh rating of cells that are used to make up the pack to determine how many cells required to reach the limit. Our largest canister has 15 cells and is just below the 160wh limit. I have not paid attention to individual cell limits, if there are any, as we don't deal with them. I do recall that they either have to be installed in a device, in their original packaging, or protected from possible short circuit through the use of tape or putting each one in a plastic baggy. Our post concerns packs for canister lights as that is what we manufacture. I'm not an expert and have worked hard just to understand the parts that do pertain to our products.

Ever since the backup batteries on an aircraft caught fire, which were lithium, the airlines prohibit transporting same in checked baggage. Carry on with regs and computer. I have been through international flights 3 times in the last year with the batteries in the lights with the spares and charger in a waterproof box with no problems. Having batteries in the lights cuts down on bulk in the carry on.

Ever since the backup batteries on an aircraft caught fire, which were lithium, the airlines prohibit transporting same in checked baggage. Carry on with regs and computer. I have been through international flights 3 times in the last year with the batteries in the lights with the spares and charger in a waterproof box with no problems. Having batteries in the lights cuts down on bulk in the carry on.
to be clear: the FAA prohibits SPARE Li batteries in checked baggage. Li batteries can be checked if they are installed in equipment.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/FAA_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

you're making a big mistake if you think the TSA goons actually know the TSA rules.
This is spot on, and doesn’t just apply to the TSA but pretty much airport security anywhere.

Sorry to revive an old thread but wrote an article about this recently and figured it might be of help to anybody looking in this thread:

(honestly not intended as spam, if above is against forum rules please feel free to remove)

Just returned from a trip to the Philipines from Abu Dhabi via Etihad.
Had my canister light in my carry-on.
Nanight Tech 2 Battery: 14.4V Panasonic Li-Ion, 6700 mAh

No issues from airlines or security.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom