Flying with Dive Gear - Best Practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...But unless you have a lot of personal experience with lost or missing luggage, there's no reason to be afraid to just let your stuff fly under the plane...

I fly internationally at least once a year, and make several trips around the USA every year. I fly with Southwest, Delta, American, Continental, etc.

I would guesstimate that about 1/3 of the time at least one of my bags doesn't arrive at the destination with me. In all cases, the errant bag has arrived at my hotel by 6 a.m. the next day.

Those are extremely poor odds. My regulators, cameras and prescription masks stay with me as carry-on luggage.

How do you pack your gear in preparation for flying?

- Do you use a Reg bag and carry it on? If so does TSA pitch a fit and provide the "Executive treatment" to you at security?

- Do you use a roller gear bag or your mesh duffel bag?

Also: What Gear do you take when traveling vs. renting on location?

Thanks!!

2 full sets of warm water dive gear(except for computers & regs) go in a large hard Samsonite, total weight 47 lbs....----no reds flags hanging to get stuff stolen.....computer & regs go in each other's(wife & I's) carryon...been doing it that way since '85, minimum of 55 overseas trips....

I put everything (except for fins) into the akona akb-176 carry-on, and carry it on. The only thing I don't take with me (or own) is a tank and weights. My mesh bag and fins goes into my checked luggage. I work on a cruise ship, so I've got to fit all my dive gear, plus 10 months worth of stuff into 2 pieces of luggage, my hand-luggage , and computer backpack.

One word of warning - don't put delicate gear in a rollaboard if you're going to be on a small plane. Those bags are going under the little plane anyway and there is less padding in the small bag than in your big one surrounded by wetsuits.

Use a wheeled carry-on bag for your dive computer, BC, regulator and photo equipment. The expensive stuff in other words. Remember to remove the knife if it is mounted on your BC. If you carry-on a large light, remove the batteries and pack them in checked baggage. TSA is not too comfortable with batteries in a light that looks like a some kind of space gun. Expect a pretty good shakedown from TSA. At least that is my experience. They don't see dive computers, regulators, hoses, and BCs too often, so they want to check it out. Arrive early to allow time for the TSA to look you over and your gear.
Have Fun and dive safe
Tim

One cautionary word...when you are carrying a home-built underwater housing (made of PVC piping), be prepared to be the recipient of one of those little red cards and the greeting "You have been selected for additional screening". With all the connections, control wires, and additional batteries, the thing looks remarkably like a pipe bomb in an luggage x-ray!

Attachments

• 100_0396.jpg
    100_0396.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 88
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom