Flying with pony bottles or spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what the TSA sez on compressed gas cylinders: TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders
"Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside."

We took two cylinders to and from Bonaire in carryon luggage with no issues. Dive shop filled them for us in Bonaire. Back home, I use my transfill whip. I keep them current on inspections, but see no reason for an inspection when I remove the valve and cover the mouth with clear tape.

We took two cylinders to and from Bonaire in carryon luggage with no issues. Dive shop filled them for us in Bonaire. Back home, I use my transfill whip. I keep them current on inspections, but see no reason for an inspection when I remove the valve and cover the mouth with clear tape.

Hey Herb, I believe the visual inspection referenced is at TSA's discretion, for them to look into the tank if they want to, not your standard VIP done by a dive shop. If TSA wants to remove the tape to look inside, TSA will remove the tape and look inside. Whatever we see no reason for makes no difference to TSA. They 'commandeered' from my luggage a pair of magnetic shoe insoles. Why? Who knows? They just did it. I could have stayed, argued and missed my flight, or let them take them. I made the flight.

I was making reference to people complaining about the expense of getting a vis before a shop will fill an empty tank. TSA did not even open our carryons to look at our tanks. We carry them on the aircraft, so we can observe if and how the tanks are handled to make sure I don't need a visual inspection.

We also don't want them to disappear from checked luggage due to an uninformed TSA bag inspector. If we are there we can correct the problem. Same thing with camera and strobe batteries. We also carry a copy of the regs.

since i always carry a spare air in all my dives, I'd always bring and include it in my checked-in baggage whenever travelling abroad. I've been in several situations where my spare air had been questioned either by the airport security personnel or by airline representatives. Based on my experience, it is best to remove the demand regulator from the cylinder before placing it inside the intended check-in baggage, carry a spare O-ring, as well as bring along the manufacturer's brochure or owner's manual (which can best identify and describe the product to inquisitive security/airline personnel), and of course do not forget the refilling adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom