Flying with pony bottles or spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When traveling with an empty cylinder in checked luggage, how do you seal the tank? Clear plastic tape? Some sort of lid?

So now I'm confused. Is it better to put the tank (valve off of course) in your carry-on without telling the airline or put it in your checked luggage without telling the airline.

I'm going to Bonaire in June on Continental from Newark and would like to take a 13cf with me. Check it or carry it? Which one carries more risk of having my pony confiscated or being charged for it?

When traveling with an empty cylinder in checked luggage, how do you seal the tank? Clear plastic tape? Some sort of lid?
My Local Dive Shop sold me (<$5) a little screw-on plastic lid w/gasket that I leave loosely screwed onto the bottle. Most times they (TSA) are OK with that but one time I had them remove the lid and just leave it open. I would think that clear packing tape would also keep dirt and lint out of your bottle.

So far I haven't had anybody on the destination side of my trip force me to VIP the bottle... One reason possibly is because I screw the valve back on tight and don't tell them. I almost always have my LDS vip my bottle when I get back home, however... for some reason it's just worked out that it's due for its annual VIP about that time.

Jerry

Here is an attempt to answer the last two threads.

First, one of the reasons I carried my Pony on was so I could remove a screw in plastic tank plug prior to passing the tank through security, and replace it once through security. On the way home I left it unsealed and will take it in for a visual and refill this weekend.

Second, I am not sure it really matters whether you carry on or check a tank. If you check it, you might want to tape the TSA regs to it in the event a security agent is not up to speed on the regulations. The advantage of carrying it on is that you can plug the tank and you are sure it is not getting bounced around in baggage. In an earlier thread someone mentioned having the neck damaged and threads bent in transit. Seems like the tanks should be able to take checking, but who knows.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Sunday I packed my 19cf pony sans valve and resigned myself to the $100 tank charge as listed on the Conti site for scuba gear however they didnt even ask to open my bag much less charge me :D
That's great news! I was hoping I wasn't stearing you wrong.

Jerry

So now I'm confused. Is it better to put the tank (valve off of course) in your carry-on without telling the airline or put it in your checked luggage without telling the airline.
See Danclem's response... I've always checked my pony (and BC & dive knife) and carry-on my regs and dive computer. TSA says that cylinders with the valve removed can go either in checked or carry-on, so it's your choice. With weight restrictions what they are now-adays on checked bags it might make sense to put heavier items in your carry-on. Carry-on has a weight restriction as well, but I have NEVER had anyone weigh my carry-on bags.

Jerry

.... It was placed horizontally, and I am sure it had an x-ray profile similar to a small pistol.

Checked everything on the way back, and placed the pony valve in a vertical position. No TSA inspection cards in any luggage.

Dan

Cool. So the result from your experiment is that I should have no problems carrying on a small pistol, as long as it is placed vertically in the bag. Good to know.

Good to know.

...especially since you are one and a half years late. Experiment was long over.

I haven't seen a more recent thread on this topic.

Anyone travel with a Pony Bottle (19cf) more recently than 2008 and had any issues?

I'm traveling to Mexico next month and to HI in November and just wondering if it's best to check the PB or carry it on.

Also, I'm sure if I carry it on I'll need to remove the valve but if I check it in is it really necessary to remove the valve?

Thanks for any response!

Back
Top Bottom